Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS @ 400mm
Av mode
1/800"
F8
ISO: 200
Photoshop CS3

DustinFinn
01-13-2010, 03:22 PM
Really love the details in the eyes and the beak, the top of the head going out of focus is interesting and I cannot tell if I don't like it or not. The feather detail is really sweet too.

I like the pose too.

Ákos Lumnitzer
01-13-2010, 03:37 PM
I think you could have gone another two stops for more DOF (i.e. ISO400 f/16 and 1/400th - if my maths is right, in any case you get the picture). Is this bird captive? Either way, it's a nice idea to shoot tight and it's only the DOF that I mentioned that I could see as an immediate improvement. Still well done! :)

Daniel Cadieux
01-13-2010, 03:54 PM
I normally don't mind shallow DOF when the eye is nice and sharp, but I do wish the whole area directly right and above the eye was more into DOF range. I actually can't figure out why the drop-off in DOF is so sudden in that area?

Ken Childs
01-13-2010, 04:44 PM
I think you could have gone another two stops for more DOF (i.e. ISO400 f/16 and 1/400th - if my maths is right, in any case you get the picture). Is this bird captive? Either way, it's a nice idea to shoot tight and it's only the DOF that I mentioned that I could see as an immediate improvement. Still well done! :)
It was wild but young and dumb. I would take a shot or 2 and then get a little closer and then shoot some more. I eventually stopped and sat down about 20 feet from where it was perched. Even then, it would occasionally jump to the ground to pick at bugs as close as 10 feet from where I was sitting. I had plenty of time to experiment with different settings but I was so enthralled that I didn't think about it. Did I mention that I'd seen the bird from my kitchen window and ran outside in the middle of winter without a coat or shoes? :)

I actually can't figure out why the drop-off in DOF is so sudden in that area?
I've been wondering the same thing. I have some other shots that show the same thing in the same general area.

Aidan Briggs
01-13-2010, 07:18 PM
Lovely warm light, and exposure. You might try selectively sharpening the OOF areas.