PDA

View Full Version : Bergy Bits

Declan Troy
01-13-2010, 12:33 PM
My first posting foray into this forum. I think this qualifies, perhaps as a close-up of a mineral?

This is part of a small iceberg that had calved off a glacier then smoothed from exposure to sea-water. These little bergs offer great variety of beautiful patterns although the combination of them and me floating independently offers some challenges in getting the perfect composition.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4059/4271129396_f119e711bd_o.jpg

20D, ISO 400, 100mm, f/11. 1/640

Julie Kenward
01-13-2010, 09:00 PM
Welcome to the macro/flora forum, Declan! What an unusual first image! I probably could have stared at this all day and not figured out what it was.

Although I really do like the image as a whole, I'm having trouble finding a main focal point because of the two brightest areas competing with each other. My eyes keep darting from one to the other so I tried a crop - taking just the left side to the middle of the frame - to see what would happen and I have to say I think it's a bit less competitive. My mind now seems to focus down on what's going on within the different tones and textures inside the frame. See what you think...

If this is not a full frame image, I'd add a bit more at the bottom to bring that bottom bright area into the rule-of-third's (ROT's) position. I'm just stunned by the tones and textures in this - it's amazing! Thank you for sharing it with us.

Vida van der Walt
01-14-2010, 02:01 AM
Hi Declan. I like this unusual image with its great textures and patterns. Agree with Jules on the comp.:)

Mike Moats
01-14-2010, 09:10 AM
Hey Declan, welcome to the macro forum, very cool abstract look, nice color and details. I like the original better as it just has more to look at. Jules repost simplifies it and works as well, but for my taste I'll go with the original.

Declan Troy
01-14-2010, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the helpful critiques. I think Jules nailed the flaws but to my eye the crop that makes it technically better cuts out some of the more interesting parts of the ice. Perhaps just a trap I get myself into by choosing documentation rather than composition when forced to choose. BTW there is nothing more on the bottom to help.

As a compromise does this work? I cropped to eliminate some of the bright distractions and toned down the remaining bright areas. There is still too much competition for attention but more of the texture remains. I may have to delve into my ice archives with more of an eye to composition rather than crystals.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4034/4273877741_6188114af6_o.jpg

Julie Kenward
01-14-2010, 02:18 PM
I think they both work for different reasons, Declan. I think your version is more "environmental" and shows off the crystals better; I think mine gives a stronger composition - nothing wrong with either...it all depends on is your audience and what the purpose of the photograph is.

I would encourage you to at least think about composition when you are making these types of images, though. Not everything works on a regular 8x10 size or a ROT's position but keeping them in mind when creating the images guarantees you'll be more likely to sell to both types of clients one day.

Declan Troy
01-14-2010, 06:11 PM
Indeed. Even though I don't do much macro work of late I check out this forum regularly for the reminder to think more about composition and some other hints for improving images. Need to keep these things in mind before pressing the shutter. Thanks again Julie.