PDA

View Full Version : How do YOU choose which images to critique?

Grace Scalzo
01-13-2010, 12:11 PM
I think this might be an interesting discussion.

Here are a couple of my thoughts:

Sometimes, before I sign on, I decide. There is always the temptation to comment on people who have commented on mine. By deciding ahead of time that I will comment on the most recent five, skip every other one, choose a few that have rec'd very little attention, choose only images of birds that I am not familiar with, etc. will help me to branch out.

Of course, if I look at am image and see that my thoughts have already been expressed, I might skip that one.

I also try to not to always read what people have said before me, as that can influence.

Anyone else have ideas?

Fabs Forns
01-13-2010, 04:58 PM
On my part, being a mod, it may be a little different? I try to start on top, or check the ones that have 0 or 1 comment.
Sometimes I skip the better ones because I feel I can use the time to help someone who needs it more? I still look at them and admire though :)

Alfred Forns
01-13-2010, 06:17 PM
Hi Grace

My approach is different just for the reasons Fabs noted but would suggest going after the ones that catch your eye and commenting on people that do a lot of comments is logical.

Excellent point on making up your mind and not reading what has been said, I find commenting helpful since you have to get into the image and think, does make you a better photographer over time !!! Excellent post !!

Axel Hildebrandt
01-13-2010, 06:22 PM
Interesting thoughts and it is great to take the time to post on images, not just because it is fair but also because it is good practice to think about composition and post-processing.

I usually comment on images with relatively few or no comments first but unlike Grace read the other comments first to see if the points I would make have already been covered.

Kerry Perkins
01-13-2010, 06:45 PM
Good topic Grace!

Being a relative beginner myself, I tend to look for posts that have issues that I can speak to with some basis in my experience - usually because a moderator has made a similar comment on one of my images or there is a very basic issue that has been missed by the poster. I agree with Al that it makes sense to pay more attention to those who offer their thoughts to others. I also tend to look for posts that have few or no comments, especially if they have been there for a while. I'm also looking for the posts that seem to need the most help and decide if I can offer anything of value.

Dave Leroy
01-13-2010, 08:09 PM
An interesting Question Grace and thanks for posting it.
I have been thinking about the same sort of thing lately.
What I have decided to do for the time being is to comment on photos similar to what I am currently doing, so birds and habitat for example. Like Kerry I am relatively new to photography, and I feel this is one way I can learn the most.
I also look and at times will comment on the very good photos. You can usually tell by the number of other posts which are the better photos for the day.
For sure, the more you comment on others, the more feed back you get on your own posts.
I would also like to say that even getting very few comments on a posted photo is a learning experience. It is pretty much a democratic society around here, and not getting comments often means you need to post better photos. And btw, this should not discourage anyone because this site has a very high standard of quality.
Dave

Phil Ertel
01-13-2010, 08:14 PM
My approach is very similar to that of Kerry's. As I to tend to focus on images that I think I can add value. When I first log-on, I usually scan the images that have been posted since my last visit as I always gain new knowledge or insight from other comments and techniques . I usually comment on Images with zero or few comments as I feel that restating what others have said is not productive. There is of course the occasional stunner that needs complimented regardless of the comment count.
I agree with Alfred that commenting on images is beneficial. Commenting has made me critically evaluate images which, I believe has made me more aware of how to take better images in the field and enhnace them when processing. I haven't been able to post images for a while as work and family as limited my attempts at photography. I have been out several times however, I do not have any images to post. I have continued to post comments in an effort to contribute to the forum. I hope this is not considered bad-form.

Desmond Chan
01-13-2010, 09:30 PM
Here's an example:

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=53986

Bob Decker
01-13-2010, 09:39 PM
Hi Grace,

I don't consider wildlife my area of photographic expertise, so I'm here to learn. I do, however, work in another discipline of photography and actually MOD a couple of photography forums that aren't wildlife/nature oriented... one in particular that emphasizes the value of giving and receiving critiques. Here at BPN I tend to comment if an image particularly moves me, if I feel I have something worthwhile to contribute, or if I see a low count on the replies. Speaking to my third reason, there's nothing more disheartening and discouraging as a photographer than to put your work out there, seeking input to help you grow, then receiving little or none.

paul leverington
01-13-2010, 11:20 PM
Given having a ample ammount of time, pretty much I pick a picture if I think I have anything significant to say about it. And I go for the comp issues above all others as I feel it is the most important aspect of an image. Sometimes the shot is so wonderful and all it needs is a tweak or two--so --worth a comment. Sometimes I can sense the photographers vision but I see there's a problem in his/or hers execution-- I'll make comment. And then sometimes the lesson of a good critique would benefit a lot for others not necessarily just the poster, and I see that as a good time to make comment for that reason alone. I generally don't comment to much on the technicals cause those issues will always get noticed and dealt with it seems. Whether people comment or not on their own or whether they participate in gratitudes has little affect on me commenting on their stuff, as I feel that since I really don't know but a handful of people personally, maybe I shouldn't do any kind of judging on their actions or lack thereof. There are a couple of folks I have given up on though. The reasons for non input on their part could be many and varied and are beyond my ability to know why. But I keep focused on the image, give it my best assesment and let it fly like that.

*This thread should be quite enlightening and helpful for the site me thinks. Nice one Grace!

Paul

LouBuonomo
01-14-2010, 08:19 AM
Depending on time.. go down from the top and pick a few to comment on both that catch my eye for quality and for ones that some critic would be helpful. Like Axel I read the comments before so I don't rehash too much.

Many time if most to the issues have been covered I will not comment or say I agree with the others.

Lou

Danny J Brown
01-16-2010, 06:57 PM
I start at the top when I'm in the mood to comment and I always read the other comments first to avoid redundancy. I sometimes skip really bad images and leave it up to the moderators to gently guide that person in the right direction. I also have the natural tendency to comment on photos of those who comment on mine.

Juan Aragonés
01-17-2010, 12:06 PM
I always try to have a look on the images that have less than three comments on first place, then I go to the last image posted and began to write my comments, then the second one, third one and go on...

If I have been active on a thread in my lat conection I return to the thread to see what is happening and to follow the discussion.

Sometimes I have not enought time to post a comment on the better images but I try to do because I like those images a lot :)