PDA

View Full Version : Juvie Bateleur

Callie de Wet
01-13-2010, 10:26 AM
Bateleur, Terathopius ecaudatus, Kingdom: Animalia (Animals), Phylum: Chordata (Vertebrates), Class: Aves (Birds), Order: Ciconiiformes (Storklike Birds), "Family: Accipitridae (Vultures, Eagles, Hawks, Harriers, Buzzards, Etc.)", Berghaan, Gaukler, Águia-bailarina, Bateleur des savanes, Bateleur, Cubitje Quab north of Nossob in the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park
D300, 200-400 F4, F8; 1/1000; ISO 800; +0,03EV; 15h14

Grace Scalzo
01-13-2010, 11:56 AM
Hello, Callie. A nice pose captured here and intense look of the bird, perhaps seeing prey? There is not alot of detail in the image overall, is this a large crop?

Callie de Wet
01-13-2010, 12:01 PM
Hello, Callie. A nice pose captured here and intense look of the bird, perhaps seeing prey? There is not alot of detail in the image overall, is this a large crop?
Hi Grace, no, this is actually nearly full frame. What you have is an ambient temperature of 46ºC and bad time of the day. Because it is so hot, they come to the drinking hole to drink and bath. This juvie just lifted to get nearer to the water. I like the pose, but the detail, . . . I wish there was a cloud overhead. Maybe this was a frame that needed shooting in RAW:D

Grace Scalzo
01-13-2010, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the explanation, Callie. One of the many things that I like about this forum is the chance to see nature from other parts of the world and to hear about the conditions that others have to deal with. I think if you try photographing in Raw, you'll be a happy person.

Loukie Viljoen
01-13-2010, 12:18 PM
Callie I think you missed the boat, very unsharp.

Fabs Forns
01-13-2010, 12:53 PM
Callie, I've been following your work and I think you could benefit from Artie's Digital Basics.
Remember, in the digital era, adequate post processing is half of the work. It's not a complicated tutorial and I'm sure your nice work is going to look much better.
Thanks for sharing!

Callie de Wet
01-13-2010, 01:22 PM
Callie, I've been following your work and I think you could benefit from Artie's Digital Basics.
Remember, in the digital era, adequate post processing is half of the work. It's not a complicated tutorial and I'm sure your nice work is going to look much better.
Thanks for sharing!
Thanks, Fabs, where do I find it or buy it? As you know I am still truing to find my way around this site!

Axel Hildebrandt
01-13-2010, 02:15 PM
The incoming pose of the bird is great but as mentioned the bird looks quite soft. I'm not sure if another round of sharpening would help.

If I were you, I would switch to RAW sooner rather than later. You can find the books that Fabs mentioned here or by clicking on the Field Store button at the top of the page: https://store.birdsasart.com/shop/category.aspx?catid=32

Stu Bowie
01-14-2010, 12:18 AM
Hi Callie, I like the midair posture, and the eye contact. I feel this is more of an out of focus issue, than anything else. Still, its a great subject to have in your files.

Morkel Erasmus
01-14-2010, 03:10 AM
like the pose Callie but as mentioned there is some detail missing and a lot of softness. I really think you should try going to RAW, it's not that much extra work but can save images like this. :o