PDA

View Full Version : Spotted: Rare Northern Roadrunner

Randy Stout
01-12-2010, 07:44 PM
This fellow was doing his best road runner imitation last weekend. Taken at the local bird sanctuary.

D700 500mm f/4 at f/6.3 1/6400s ISO 400 ev -.7

I love the opposing foot positions. And although the light was almost 45 degrees off to my right, I like the modeling effect it has on the leading edge of the wing, the shadow in front of the bird. Of course, the fill light from the snow made this light angle work.

Advice always appreciated.

He makes me smile.

Randy

Justin Reznick
01-12-2010, 08:09 PM
Spot on with the feet position Randy, looks great! Really adds to the storytelling aspect of the image. My only suggestion would be further experimentation, if you could do a motion blur with this particular action it could turn out very cool. Great shot Randy!

Gail Spitler
01-12-2010, 08:31 PM
Who would have guessed that a bird this size could run with 2 feet off the ground! Or is he just about to get airborne?It makes me smile as well. Nice definition in the feathers (except by the tail? - too much wind effect :D ).
Cheers
Gail

Caroline Darmo
01-12-2010, 08:45 PM
I love the pose, the feet position and the shadow. The whites and sharpness look great. Just wish for a better definition between eye and bill. I have a problem seeing a defined catchlight, could be my monitor though...

Mark Adkins
01-12-2010, 10:57 PM
Very nice. Are those the foot prints in the snow right below him? Great exposure with all white. Very tough to get light on the eye area with this light angle but makes a great shadow.

Mark

Todd Frost
01-12-2010, 11:21 PM
Great job with the whites, sharpness is right on too. My only wish would be for a full shadow with a little room in front of it. Well done. TFS
Todd

Jamie Douglas
01-13-2010, 02:11 AM
I like this. Agree that eye and bill could be lightened a touch. keep them coming.

Axel Hildebrandt
01-13-2010, 07:31 AM
I like your snowrunner. :) Good take-off pose, sharpness and setting. Why did you dial in negative EC? Does your camera meter that differently? Another vote for lightening eye and bill.

Lana Hays
01-13-2010, 07:42 AM
Randy
I love it! And why.....well today has started off as an excrementally poor day.....Murphy's Law at it's best......and this brought a smile to my face and a big chuckle. Thanks.....I needed that. Now...back to reality!!!

Ron Caswell
01-13-2010, 09:04 AM
Cool image Randy, I like a lot about the shot, I like that he seems to be playing catch up with his shadow. Exposure looks great and sharpness is right there also. Looks like there may be some sun this weekend :)

Randy Stout
01-13-2010, 09:57 AM
Thanks everyone for the comments.

Axel, re: -ev, I had been shooting swans flying in against a dark background (trees) so had the minus cranked in.

The exposure was very close even with the white background however.

Randy

Randy Stout
01-13-2010, 10:10 AM
Here is a slightly cleaned up version, slight change in crop to eliminate some of the snow foot prints(all from birds, no people out on the lake!)

I also lightened the bill and eye slightly. They really are pretty much inky black when seen in person.

Thanks again!

Randuy

Myer Bornstein
01-13-2010, 10:14 AM
Great catch getting both feet of the ground. tou can see behinf the bird where it foot was with the puff of snow keep it up:)

James Salywoda
01-13-2010, 12:47 PM
Randy nice running pose and I like the composition I do think the repost looks a bit better maybe a touch more sharpening?

Steve Maxson
01-13-2010, 02:30 PM
Looks like you've got a good thing going with these trumpeters, Randy. Love the unique pose with the bird running across the snow rather than water. The shadow is a big plus and would be even better if you had gotten the head in the frame. I like the cleanup you did in the repost and agree that the eye and bill are really quite black when seen in the field. Well done.

Kaustubh Deshpande
01-13-2010, 03:03 PM
Randy, loved the pose and the exposure. Unique action shot.