PDA

View Full Version : Trouble on the Hooptie Deux...

Arthur Morris
02-19-2008, 05:16 PM
This morning on Mr. Shadle's new boat. Kept 159 spoonbill images of 538 after the first edit... Canon 600mm f/4L IS lens with the 1.4X II TC and the Eos 1D MIII. ISO 400. Evaluative metering +2/3 stop off low blue sky: 1/1250 sec. at f/7.1. Gitzo 3530 LSV with old Wimberley head.

Yes, It would have been nice to have been able to fit them both in the frame, but I rather like the framing as is. Cropped a bit off of the bottom but side to side is full frame. Removed to bands from the bird on our right with QMing.

Don't be shy; all comments welcome. Later and love and back for more tomorrow... artie

Marko Matesic
02-19-2008, 05:34 PM
I like peak of the action captured,fabulous light and very pleasant BG.Sharpness is perfect.
no nits from me :)
Way to go maestro!

Judy Lynn Malloch
02-19-2008, 06:08 PM
Wonderful interaction captured in this image in beautiful lighting . I also like the excellent detail and color and the open beak is a real bonus and speaks for itself. Would be thrilled if it were mine < smile > Excellent work Artie !

Jim Poor
02-19-2008, 06:37 PM
Oh, I'm drooling for FL in March!

Stephen Stephen
02-19-2008, 07:06 PM
Wonderful image here Artie. Love the exposure and light. The open beak and its shadow on the other birds wing plus the water drops all add to this image. The only thing that I might wish to have had extra would be to see the right hand bird's eye.

I've never seen spoonbills yet but I'll trade you a one of these colourful birds for a snowy owl. ;)

Jack Rogers
02-19-2008, 07:34 PM
Great light, perfect exposure, and the action is captured at its peak. Not much not to like about this Artie. That said, I think for me it could only be better with the full wings included.

Daniel Cadieux
02-19-2008, 08:46 PM
I guess its true it would be bonus to have both complete birds here, but the crop you chose give it a more intimate feel and is well balanced too. I really love the shadow of the other bird's open bill on the wing. If I had to be really picky I'd might clone out the few water drops at right of the bill.

Maxis Gamez
02-19-2008, 09:38 PM
Hi Artie,

It truly tells the story. Love the light ande details.

Vincent Grafhorst
02-20-2008, 05:08 AM
It has been said, a great action shot in beautiful light, which brings out the colours nicely. Yet, I do think it would have been a lot better with both birds entirely in the frame.

susanschermer
02-20-2008, 07:49 AM
Sure, in a perfect world, both in the frame! For our world this one is a winner. I can't wait for next month and my first experience with James. Did you hand-hold for this image, Artie? Tell me the best way to deal with a 500 from this boat.

Georgina Salup
02-20-2008, 07:56 AM
I like everything about this shot...composition, colors, light, action and subject. Like always, a killer shot!

Doug Brown
02-20-2008, 08:06 AM
You and me both! Nice photo Artie.

Manos Papadomanolakis
02-20-2008, 11:05 AM
The open beak is a real bonus,I love the action,colors and details!

Arthur Morris
02-20-2008, 03:24 PM
Sure, in a perfect world, both in the frame! For our world this one is a winner. I can't wait for next month and my first experience with James. Did you hand-hold for this image, Artie? Tell me the best way to deal with a 500 from this boat.

Hi Susan, I am human. I do not handhold the 600. And only rarely the 500... Best way: don't drop it or anything in the salt water... Seriously, most of the photography is done off a tripod while standing in a foot or so of water...

later and love and you will have a great time, artie

ps to all: if I had been wider and gotten both birds in the frame, the image would surely have been different but not necessarily better...

Brian Wong
02-21-2008, 01:48 AM
ps to all: if I had been wider and gotten both birds in the frame, the image would surely have been different but not necessarily better...

Hi Artie!

I was dying for either you, or Robert O'Toole, or one of your many experts ... to post a modified illustration demonstrating a manipulated version of your image.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do not ban me for reposting (defacing?:confused:?) your image!! I really love the expression and interaction between the two birds, but I am really curious to see what full wings version would look like. I hope you do not mind, and I used many of the techniques that I you, and Robert have taught. As you stated, "it is different, and not necessarily better". I also apologize in advance to all those who may be offended by these manipulations. Thanks for your understanding.

Sabyasachi Patra
02-21-2008, 02:09 AM
Nice shot. I don't mind the clipping of the wings. I like the composition. Thanks for sharing.

Arthur Morris
02-21-2008, 06:48 AM
Not only is that a pretty darned god job, it is a great advertisement for APTATS... I might have played with the section of the right wing that you added getting rid of the notches and warping the shape a bit. As is, they are too siimilar... I must say that the thought of creating an image with the two birds whole never crossed my mind.

As for the folks who are offended by such manipulations, it is there choice to be offended and is about them not about you or the technique. As far as I am concerned, there are two relevant issues: you have not added anything that was not there the moment that the shutter was released, and as long as you are telling folks what you did you are not a liar.

Thanks for the amazing repost. And later and love, artie

ps: How long did it take you???

Brian Wong
02-21-2008, 02:32 PM
Not only is that a pretty darned god job, it is a great advertisement for APTATS... I might have played with the section of the right wing that you added getting rid of the notches and warping the shape a bit. As is, they are too siimilar... I must say that the thought of creating an image with the two birds whole never crossed my mind.

As for the folks who are offended by such manipulations, it is there choice to be offended and is about them not about you or the technique. As far as I am concerned, there are two relevant issues: you have not added anything that was not there the moment that the shutter was released, and as long as you are telling folks what you did you are not a liar.

Thanks for the amazing repost. And later and love, artie

ps: How long did it take you???

Hi Artie!

I am SO <<relieved>> that you did not object to my repost:). It took me more time to modify than I care to admit.

In my opinion, the reposted image seems to take away from your more intimate interaction. I created plenty of canvas on my working version, but I really had no idea on how to crop this optimally. Can you offer any suggestions?

Thanks again for all the help, and encouragement.

Arthur Morris
02-21-2008, 05:47 PM
Brian, The crop on the re-post is perfect. I agree about the intimacy of the action...

later and love, artie