PDA

View Full Version : flower 2

Grahame Hamblin
01-12-2010, 03:43 PM
D300 100mm macro iso 200 f22 flashed with beauty dish (home made) cropped slightly when 5% rotated sharpened center
Grahame

Julie Kenward
01-12-2010, 07:59 PM
Very nice floral image, Grahame! (I'm pretty sure you've posted here before, right? If not, welcome to the macro/flora forum!) I really love your composition almost more than I love the lighting. Putting the leaves on a diagonal is really wonderful and gives a nice twist to this image. You mentioned using a homemade "beauty dish"...could you tell us more about that? What is it? How did you make it? How was it used to help you achieve this beautiful, soft lighting? Also, was that what got you this nice black BG?

It's a beautiful image - nicely detailed and sharpened as well!

Grahame Hamblin
01-13-2010, 02:34 AM
Julie thank you for your comments I have since darkened the stalk. I stumbled on a webb site describing how he took flower photos. Taken inside with a black velvet backdrop some 3 to 4 feet behind, he used a 60watt light to one side and above aimed at flower inserted black card to the side of light and nearly reaching flower to stop any stray light touching backdrop ( i used beauty dish ) then shut doors windows etc turned off lights so room nearly dark and took Photo it seems to work well will keep experimenting. hope this explains.
The beauty dish was a 10 inch wooden bowel (molded very light ) with a hole in back for flash head painted matt white then some crushed foil glued to small plastic dish mounted 2 inches in front oh flash used for first time but seems to work well.
hope this helps i talk better that writing
Grahame

Grahame Hamblin
01-13-2010, 03:10 AM
i hope diagram attached

Anita Bower
01-13-2010, 03:53 PM
This is a beautiful flower. Excellent composition. I think darkening the stalk was a good idea (I read your comment). I would like to see the flower just a bit brighter. I look forward to more posts. Also, I'd like to see the diagram of the homemade beauty dish.

Grahame Hamblin
01-13-2010, 05:54 PM
Thank you for comment yes i have brightened flower as well and it really pops will get around to taking photo of dish and description
Thanks Grahame

Vida van der Walt
01-14-2010, 01:56 AM
Beautiful image Grahame. Love the detail, soft light and comp.:)

Anita Bower
01-14-2010, 07:18 AM
Thank you for comment yes i have brightened flower as well and it really pops will get around to taking photo of dish and description
Thanks Grahame
If you care to post the reworked flower image, I would like to see it. :)

Grahame Hamblin
01-15-2010, 03:57 AM
Thanks Anita, I think it looks better thanks for your comment What paper would you suggest i print it on I tried Matt and glossy but but they lacked something. It looks that i might have to buy a colour calibrator.

Anita Bower
01-15-2010, 05:40 AM
Thanks Anita, I think it looks better thanks for your comment What paper would you suggest i print it on I tried Matt and glossy but but they lacked something. It looks that i might have to buy a colour calibrator.

I do like the repost! Good work!

I know nothing about printing as I have all my images printed by others. I do, however, calibrate my monitor to match their printers. I hope someone else can help you. You might post your question on the discussion forums at this site, maybe General Photography Discussion or Digital Photography Workflow.