PDA

View Full Version : My first post, be nice...

Miriam Cutler
01-12-2010, 01:52 PM
http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac74/MiriamCutler/IMG_2542-web.jpg

Hi! This is my first posting. I'm new to bird photography and would like your comments.

Colin Knight
01-12-2010, 02:11 PM
You'll find this is a very nice forum, and very well spirited.

First off, please post your specs and equipment. Sometimes this is relevant to the critique.

You're dealing with a pretty sharp angle here, but managed to get a pleasing head angle and looks like some eye contact too.

Nice job handling the whites in the direct sun, that's not easy.

As Gus says, "Keep 'em coming." :cool:

Jamie Douglas
01-12-2010, 03:50 PM
Welcome,

Very nice composition. If you have access to Photoshop CS3 or similar software try using the Shadow/Highlight tool to bring out the whites on the birds neck and lighten the sky a little. At work so can't post an example.

Nicely done for someone new to bird photography.

Jeff Cashdollar
01-12-2010, 04:01 PM
Welcome Miriam - Agree with Colin, please provide camera data (EXIF Data) data so we can analyze the exposure info with the composition (which appears to be framed well). Birds In Flight is an exciting type of photography - talk later.

Oscar Zangroniz
01-12-2010, 06:30 PM
Congrats and a Big Welcome. Like the placement in the frame and the action.

Alfred Forns
01-12-2010, 11:32 PM
Big Warm Welcome Miriam !!!!!

Neat image for the first post, flight and back lit !!! Did very well with the exposure which is not easy, got lot of detail under the wings and did not blow the whites on top. For even lighter you would need some fill flash to light up the bird from underneath .. assume this was made with a 300 to 400 lens? ..in range of the fill flash !!!

Placement in frame is good, wings stretched and carrying nesting material .. can't ask for much more !!! Doing very well, looking forward to the next one !!!

Ramon M. Casares
01-12-2010, 11:58 PM
Hi Miriam, welcome to BPN, as I already told you and as ha been mentioned, fill flash would have been the best call to get more detil from the shadowed areas, still I do like backlite Egrets as they look very nice. This is an almost full frame image and the comp is preety much great IMO. Congratulaitons!

Lance Peters
01-13-2010, 12:09 AM
Hi Miriam - another big warm welcome to the BPN family - techs covered above.
looking forward to seeing more :)

Gus Cobos
01-13-2010, 05:43 AM
Hi Miriam,
A big warm welcome to our BPN family...:) I like your composition, image and capture...You did very well...the techs. have been covered and sound advice given...looking forward to your next one...:):cool:

Miriam Cutler
01-13-2010, 06:50 AM
Hey guys!

Thanks for the inspirational feedback!

As for my follow-up, the camera data is as follows:
Canon 50D, EF70-200 f2.8L USM 1.4x
AV 40, TV 1/6400, ISO 400

Harshad Barve
01-13-2010, 07:45 AM
Big welcome to BPN , One amazing forum to learn lot
lovely image to start with,
TFS