PDA

View Full Version : Red tail

Roy Priest
01-12-2010, 02:00 AM
This red tail was on a light standard so I decided to crop it out. Did it work?

Camera: NIKON D90
Lens: AF-S VR Nikkor 500mm F4G ED
Focal length: 850*mm*(equiv. 1275*mm)
Aperture: F9
Exposure time: 1/200" (+1*EV)
ISO speed rating: 400/27°
Program: Aperture priority
Metering Mode: Pattern
White Balance: Auto
Focus Mode: AF-C
Image Stabilizer: On
Noise Reduction: Off
Flash: Flash did not fire

Craig Markham
01-12-2010, 02:57 AM
Nice clear profile, Roy, and good exposure. I'd leave the perch in, unless it's one of those ugly metal jobs; for me, this crop leaves a feeling of "cut off at the beltline. I think it would help if the diagonal line of the back didn't hit the left edge so close to the LL corner.While it's often good to leave some space above and forward of the head, in this case, I think a somewhat tighter crop would pull the image together better. A little turn of the head toward you would give a greater sense of presence, and would further illuminate the face and give you a stronger catch light; eye contact would make it even better. The breast feathers and face are very nice, but the nape appears a bit plated, as if it may have been a bit overworked with sharpening. You might want to go back to the original and compare. I see a thin blue halo (chromatic aberration?) along the front edge of the bird extending from the top of the head all the way to the bottom edge of the image. I often see this in images with bright BG's. You found a beautiful bird. Thanks for sharing!

--Craig

Lance Peters
01-12-2010, 04:54 AM
Agree with Craigs points - That little bit of head turn would have made a big difference - HAP have you in their sights Roy - LOL.

Nice critique - Craig!!
Looking forward to seeing more :)

Gus Cobos
01-12-2010, 06:08 AM
Hi Roy,
A fine majestic bird indeed. I totally agree with Craig's fine critique. As far as the head angle and eye contact...well, lets just say that the subject was looking at something that caught his undivided attention in his natural environment...:D For now I will give you a complimentary get out of jail pass...:) Looking forward to your next one...:cool:

Myer Bornstein
01-12-2010, 06:16 AM
I agree with a tighter crop or use the whole bird. Half of a bird leaves something out to my way of viewing

Alfred Forns
01-12-2010, 10:25 AM
Hi Roy Excellent capture !! Agree with all points by Craig ... excellent !! .. wasn't sure about the halo either, thought first sharpening, could be a combination?

Crop wise also would prefer the entire bird/perch, if need to crop might take some more out the back side, might make it more natural looking !!!

Oscar Zangroniz
01-12-2010, 06:28 PM
Fine looking bird with lots of details. I too think that for this one a tighter crop would look better. IMO.
Regards