PDA

View Full Version : First DF ever...

Kerry Perkins
01-11-2010, 09:58 PM
I know this is nowhere near the quality of the images posted in macro/floral, but I was excited to get it with my non-macro, hand-held 400mm! Don't know much about these guys, is it a Violet Dropwing female?? Out of my element here... ;) Almost talked myself out of posting it - would have loved to have a nice dark BG, but...

Didn't do much but crop, sharpen, etc. LR2 to CS4

50D, EF400mm f/5.6L
Manual mode, f/5.6@1/1250 ISO 200 WB 5100K
AI Servo autofocus, hand-held no flash

Anita Rakestraw
01-11-2010, 10:29 PM
Pretty darned decent, Kerry! Reminds me of my last d-fly shot - kind of a "grab" shot, hh with my 100-400; I was amazed that it was sharp! :p

Don't know my d-flies so can't help with the id. IMO, the only drawback to this image is the large amount of oof branch. I might crop about 1/3 off the bottom of the image (and some off the left side as well.) The pano style crop would minimize the oof branch (which I also wish was slightly smaller.) Or not; maybe that wouldn't work for you. ;):eek:

Kerry Perkins
01-11-2010, 10:32 PM
Thanks Anita, I'll give it a shot!

Dan Brown
01-11-2010, 10:46 PM
Nice work Kerry with the 400! I think this is a Variegated Meadowhawk.

Kerry Perkins
01-11-2010, 10:52 PM
Thanks Dan! Here's a more up-close and personal crop. Starting to see some sharpening issues at this size...

Gail Spitler
01-11-2010, 10:53 PM
I agree with Anita about cropping away as much of the oof branch. It speaks to your steadiness and the sharpness of the lens that you got as much dof as you did, both the near side and the far side wings seem mostly sharp - impressive. Well done. I find side views of dragonflies hard because their eyes don't give you that other-world look. That's for next time.
Cheers
Gail

Lance Peters
01-12-2010, 01:11 AM
Hi Kerry - they sure are lots of fun - dont get them were I live.
More DOF would have helped - could have upped the ISO to keep the SS whilst increasing DOF.
Prefer the repost with the OOF perch minimised.
You hooked???

Gus Cobos
01-12-2010, 05:43 AM
Hi Kerry,
a very nice capture indeed...I like your new macro lens...:eek::D I agree with the cropping at the bottom to minimize the perch and also to get the branch out of the intersecting corner...good show...keep them coming...:cool:

Alfred Forns
01-12-2010, 02:05 PM
Hi Kerry Mighty fine effort !!!

As presented just minimize the perch as much as possible. btw the best lenses for those insects are not macro .... my favorite is the 500 f 4.0 IS !! I get full frame from a decent distance. Your 400 5.6 will need extension tubes to get close enough, that lens is great for flight because of the poor short focusing distance ... so not as good for DF !!! ... and is always best to use a tripod !!