PDA

View Full Version : Desert Dervish Dancers

Callie de Wet
01-11-2010, 02:29 PM
Interaction and alpha dominance at the waterhole at Nossob Camp
Blackbacked Jackal, Canis mesomelas, Kingdom: Animalia (Animals), Phylum: Chordata (Vertebrates), Class: Mammalia (Mammals), Carnivora: (Carnivores) ,Canidae: (Foxes, Jackal and Wild Dog), Rooi jakkals
Nikon D300
Nikkor 200-400 F/4G ED-IF-AFS VR
ISO800
F8
1/400
AP
Matrix metering
0 EV
06h19 AM
Find it difficult to set the correct EV so early in the morning with the sun shining directly into the lens!

peter delaney
01-11-2010, 03:08 PM
lovely image Callie... you could probably crop a little closer and keep pano crop.

regarding your EV just keep checking your histogram .

peter

Morkel Erasmus
01-11-2010, 04:01 PM
lovely interaction Callie! in my mind the jackals could be slightly sharper, and I notice a slight blue cast in the whites.

Fabs Forns
01-11-2010, 05:33 PM
Blue in the whites is caused by the light temp so early. Very interesting behavior and nice rim light.
The jackal on the left could be a bit sharper. Keep them coming!

DanWalters
01-11-2010, 08:59 PM
Great action! Like the way the light lights up the dust beneath the feet.

Todd Frost
01-11-2010, 11:05 PM
Nice interaction, agree re: sharpness on the left jackal right one looks ok. You did pretty well with the back light here.
Todd

Callie de Wet
01-11-2010, 11:57 PM
Thanks guys for looking and commenting. Yes, this was very fast action on the part of the jackals. They try to catch the Cape Turtle Doves that come in drives to drink and inevitably they all feel that the birds are MINE, alll mine!, so the interaction. It is a real pity that the light is right into the lens. Maybe ISO 1000 or more should have been used. I found that High ISO wants a high -EV to get some colour in the picture very early and late in the day, otherwise the blue tones dominate in the morning. I agree that the one jackal is not pin sharp, The SS is just not "there" to nail both canines - they are NOT on the same plane, even if it looks like it. Handholding and shooting through the slot in the hide is also not too easy. Consirerd a closer crop too. Like a slighty larger crop at 300 DPI, when the lack of sharpness is not too evident.

Stu Bowie
01-12-2010, 12:51 AM
Hi Callie, the jackal on the right really looks aggressive, and I like the raised leg there too. Well done for getting the shot, as most times, I just dont shoot into the sun at all.

Sabyasachi Patra
01-12-2010, 02:34 AM
I agree with the previous comments. I don't mind this crop with space on both left and right. It must have been fun watching these. Thanks for sharing. Look forward to more.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

david cramer
01-12-2010, 08:20 AM
Excellent action. I think you are hitting the right exposure on these with the backlighting. On the D300, I would prefer a little blown highlight on the rim light to the noise you would get if you underexposed at iso 800.

Alfred Forns
01-12-2010, 09:48 AM
Hi Callie Great action !! Not sure both could be sharp even stopping down to the max !! Do love it as presented and light makes it special !!!

Callie de Wet
01-12-2010, 10:56 AM
Once more, Thank you guys for stopping by and commenting. Shooting into the sun like this is very difficult exposure wise, sine 30 m up, the exposure is different than 50 m north or south, and there is no way I am fast enough to follow the action and still change the EV to a "may it hit setting".
David. yes, the 0EV worked here, but I also shot it on some morning at -0,7 and to + 0,3. I guess that in the heat of the chase, you get what you were set on, because there is just no time between charging and shooting.
Alfred Yes, I agree with you. My options were to post as is, or crop to show only the one in focus, but that would take away from the action. I think Ttere could be about 4 or so more similar interactions shots taken on other days.

Axel Hildebrandt
01-13-2010, 09:11 AM
What happened to the image, is hotlinking enabled?

Callie de Wet
01-13-2010, 10:02 AM
Hi Alex
I see the image on my screen, above. I did delete it on the net. Could that be the problem. I can now upload from my PC, but I do no se where to do it. Best regards Callie

Axel Hildebrandt
01-13-2010, 10:29 AM
Hi Alex
I see the image on my screen, above. I did delete it on the net. Could that be the problem. I can now upload from my PC, but I do no se where to do it. Best regards Callie

You might still see it because it is in your browser's cache. Since you are a member, you could edit your original post and upload the image to the BPN server as long as it does not exceed file and size limits by going to 'advanced', scroll down and 'manage attachments'. Let me know if you need help. BTW, it's Axel. :)

Callie de Wet
01-13-2010, 10:40 AM
You might still see it because it is in your browser's cache. Since you are a member, you could edit your original post and upload the image to the BPN server as long as it does not exceed file and size limits by going to 'advanced', scroll down and 'manage attachments'. Let me know if you need help. BTW, it's Axel. :)
Hi Axel
My most humble apologies, Sir. Can only plead a dumb moment!
I think I have uploaded it now, if you care to have a look. Thunks for helping, I appreciate!

Axel Hildebrandt
01-13-2010, 10:43 AM
Hi Axel
My most humble apologies, Sir. Can only plead a dumb moment!
I think I have uploaded it now, if you care to have a look. Thunks for helping, I appreciate!

I can see it now and really like the interaction!

Callie de Wet
01-13-2010, 11:19 AM
Thank you, everyone for looking, at least now I can change and upload as suggested.