PDA

View Full Version : Recovering lost images

Stu Bowie
01-11-2010, 01:21 PM
Im embarrassed to say I formatted a card that I hadnt downloaded some images. I was given a link - Convar recovery, and although it recovered all the images, it left them with a colour patch as attached. I also cant open them into Photshop, as it doesnt accept the file type. Am I chasing a lost cause, or is there a program that can be downloaded to recover images. A friend of mine had success, but he says he had just deleted the images, and not formatted the card. I have also accepted that if I dont come right, its my own stupidity. Dont ask me why I did it.

Tell Dickinson
01-11-2010, 01:38 PM
Hi, looks like your recovery program didnt identify the files properly, as long as you do nothing to overwrite the files on the card they should be recoverable but you may have to try other recovery programs.

One thing you may be able to do is recover the embedded jpeg files from the files that Convar recovered. A lot of recent cameras embedd a full size jpeg, the only program that I personally know that will do this is BreezeBrowser Pro and you can download a time limited copy to try - HTH

Tell

Stu Bowie
01-11-2010, 02:19 PM
Thanks Tell. I did forget to mention that I can save these images in my viewing program to a jpeg, but obviously with the colour patch too. If the subject is in the clear, as per this attached image, I could probably do something with it.

Tell Dickinson
01-11-2010, 02:37 PM
I did forget to mention that I can save these images in my viewing program to a jpeg, but obviously with the colour patch too.

Hi Stuart, I obviously do not know for sure, but if you can extract the 'embedded' jpeg there is a chance that this will be the full image without the colour patch - its worth a try anyway as the download is free for 15 days :-)

http://www.breezesys.com/downloads.htm

Tell

Fabs Forns
01-11-2010, 03:08 PM
I used Cars Raider. $20 and you could see ir your images are there before purchasing the program.

scott benson
01-11-2010, 04:02 PM
if you buy a sandisk extreme III or faster you get recovery software free, and it does work.

Paul Lagasi
01-11-2010, 04:02 PM
I use Image Rescue 3 by Lexar...comes free with their SD cards...I've found they work but you do get "color patches"....but at least you won't lose all your images

Stu Bowie
01-12-2010, 11:42 PM
Thank you all for the great feedback. I will have a look at each one and see If I can come right.

Lance Peters
01-13-2010, 02:04 AM
The absolute best program you can get IMHO is - Zero Assumption Recovery or ZAR for short - takes a long long time but recovers everything - I had a card with lots of NEF'S that I could not open in any program.
Formatted the card and ZAR recovered them and I could open them.