PDA

View Full Version : US Air Travel Update

Arthur Morris
01-11-2010, 05:05 AM
From my blog post (www.birdsasart-blog.com) this morning (Monday, 11 JAN 2010):

It is 4:48 am. I am sitting at Gate 13 in Orlando International Airport headed for San Diego via Dallas flying American Airlines. After 9/11, there was huge concern about flying with photography gear. Other than getting dump-searched at the Dallas Airport right after 9-11–I had been in the air during the attacks– flying with photo gear after 9-11 was exactly the same as it was flying before 9-11. One rolling bag, one computer case, and my vest. Sometimes they checked my rolling bag carefully, sometimes they did not. And once in a very great while I got hassled about my vest. But getting through security and on the plane was and has been relatively hassle free.

After the last recent security fiasco/terrorist attempt there has once again been huge concern about the “new security measures” that will make it impossible to travel with long lenses and mutliple camera bodies. Well, aside from the line at TSA being very slow this morning, I can assure you that at least in Orlando things are exactly the same. Once it was my turn I got through security in record time: one rolling bag, one computer case, and my vest. And they did not even swab my bag. No pat down and no body scan even though they have those machines at MCO.

On a personal note, I was up till after 1am talking to a friend on Sunday night, and then up this morning at 3am to make my 6am flight. Though I am wide-eyed and alert at the moment, I am sure that I will catch some z’s on my flights. I will be back soon to post some Mark IV and 7D images.

Don Thompson
01-11-2010, 12:27 PM
Glad to hear it was relatively easy getting through security. I don't fly often or with nearly as much equipment as you so maybe when I do, I will have no problems getting what I do carry through with me.

Look forward to the pictures. Neither camera is in my immediate future but all advances will eventually find themselves into whatever I do buy.

Dave Blinder
01-11-2010, 12:40 PM
Hi Artie - Thanks for the helpful info. How loaded up is your photo vest... a few short lenses? Which rolling bag have you been using?

- Dave

Roger Clark
01-11-2010, 11:39 PM
I can add to Artie's experience. I traveled from Denver to Orlando last week with no hassles. I carried a 500 f/4, 70-200 f/4, 28-135 IS, 1.4x and 2x TCs, flash, lots of cards, laptop, 1DII and 5DII bodies. Lenses and cameras in a phototrekker backpack and laptop and misc in my laptop bag. I carried the photo vest too but empty (just in case I needed it). I also went through security just fine. Usually there usually is some comment about the lenses, but this time nothing. Will test Orlando tomorrow.
Roger

ChasMcRae
01-11-2010, 11:41 PM
Great to hear this ! Putting off travel because of possible hassle !

Fabs Forns
01-11-2010, 11:59 PM
We flew back from Cody last Friday, business as usual, no harassment at all.

Steve Kaluski
01-12-2010, 09:38 AM
Hope things improve and are clarified over the next few months, as I have Canada & Alaska set up for Aug & Sept coming from across the pond :)

Steve

Ed Grella
01-12-2010, 10:41 AM
Is a monopod allowed in a carry-on? I don't want to leave it with TSA.

Fabs Forns
01-12-2010, 11:10 AM

We carry tripods, heads and hoods in the checked luggage.

Chad Griggs
01-12-2010, 02:06 PM
Glad to hear this. We traveling AirTran from MPLS to Orlando in about a month and I've been getting concerned about bringing my 500. AirTran website describes carry on as normal.

http://www.airtran.com/policies/carry-on_checked.aspx

Bryan Hix
01-12-2010, 07:41 PM
I am glad you posted this. Heading to Panama next Wed and was very concerned. I am taking my Tamrac backpack onboard, so I hope it works. It's American Airlines. I measured it and I think it will slip by. Has anyone ever been forced to gate check equipment? If so, will the airlines sign anything to take responsibility for breaking a 600mm? Answer-(just called Farmer's and they said no problem, everything is covered even internationally with camera equipment).

Jackie Schuknecht
01-12-2010, 08:17 PM
Bryan I don't think they will take any liability for it. I think they will only cover up to about 250 dollars.

John Chardine
01-12-2010, 10:17 PM

I don't think so unless they can see inside it. I lost one once in Chile when I had to leave it with security.

Roger Clark
01-12-2010, 10:33 PM
I just flew back from Orlando to Denver this afternoon. Security check went very smooth and fast. No hassles with all the gear I was carrying.

Roger

Roger Clark
01-12-2010, 10:45 PM

Tripods have been allowed as carry-on on US aircraft as long as they do not have spiked feet. Today in Orlando a woman boarded with what looked like a wood walking stick.

About a year ago a videographer was waiting in the Frankfurt airport with a very large tripod aith a big pan head on it. It was larger than a gitzo 1548 CF tripod. He said he flies all over the word and has never had a problem carrying it on any aircraft.

So monopods should be no problem, but you should probably check with the airline, or go to TSA before checking in and ask. I have occasionally carried my cf tripod on board, but it has been a couple of years. I usually check it because carrying a 500 mm lens + other stuff already seems like a lot. I made a setup of 1/4-inch steel bicycle cable that lock my tripod to the frame of the suitcase and lock it in with TSA locks, then lock the suitcase with a TSA lock. In Tanzania, I had $300 in batteries stolen out of my suitcase but the CF tripod was still there (the simply forced open the zippers on 2 suitcases and took the batteries and the TSA locks were still locked).

Roger