PDA

View Full Version : Robin and berries

Roy Priest
01-11-2010, 01:38 AM
Found this robin on my way home. Full frame, cloned out some berries on the right hand side, sharpened in usm.

Camera: NIKON D90
Lens: AF-S VR Nikkor 500mm F4G ED
Software: Nikon Transfer 1.3 W
Aperture: F9
Exposure time: 1/320" (+1*EV)
ISO speed rating: 400/27°
Program: Aperture priority
Metering Mode: Pattern
White Balance: Auto
Focus Mode: AF-C
Image Stabilizer: On
Noise Reduction: Off
Flash: Flash did not fire

Randy Stout
01-11-2010, 02:02 PM
Roy:

I like the idea of the bird with berries.

The bird seems a bit dark on my monitor, and I would consider increasing the exposure at least 1/2 stop or perhaps more.

The head angle is a bit away from us.

The clone work on the right has left some artifacts on the remaining berries.

Always good to keep your eyes open when out and about, you never know what you might find.

Cheers

Randy

Randy Stout
01-11-2010, 02:06 PM
PS"

Roy, if you push the exposure a bit higher, you will probably have to run recovery on the blown highlights in the sky, but I tried it, and preferred the bird a bit brighter.

The sharpening is showing some artifacts along the edges of the bird. It looks a bit 'cut out". I am pretty sensitive to sharpening, and others may feel it is fine.

Randy

Dave Leroy
01-11-2010, 04:22 PM
Hi Roy, Although I am still getting used to a new monitor, it does appear a bit on the dark side to me also. Focus and sharpness look very good and a bit of a head turn would have been very nice. It looks like quite a few berries left so birds will definitely be hanging around there for a while. Dave

Roy Priest
01-11-2010, 05:12 PM
Roy:

I like the idea of the bird with berries.

The bird seems a bit dark on my monitor, and I would consider increasing the exposure at least 1/2 stop or perhaps more.

The head angle is a bit away from us.

The clone work on the right has left some artifacts on the remaining berries.

Always good to keep your eyes open when out and about, you never know what you might find.

Cheers

Randy

Randy, thanks for the comments, it's a bit dark on my Macbook pro but less so on my PC . I seem to like my shots darker than most so it's something I'll have to work on. I'll go back to the raw file and re work the image.

Roy Priest
01-11-2010, 05:15 PM
Hi Roy, Although I am still getting used to a new monitor, it does appear a bit on the dark side to me also. Focus and sharpness look very good and a bit of a head turn would have been very nice. It looks like quite a few berries left so birds will definitely be hanging around there for a while. Dave

Hey Dave, it's darker on the forum than it is on my monitor. It was like the robin was frozen, I whistled at him and he turned his head directly at me, would that be a better head angle than this. He looks quite comical when looking directly at you.

Dave Leroy
01-11-2010, 08:33 PM
I know what you mean about looking funny in photos on those straight on shots. I think also with this photo the dark head adds to the impression of the bird not looking at you. I sometimes use the dodge tool to lighten up shadows or darker areas a bit. What we really need is a little sunshine!:) Dave