PDA

View Full Version : Grizzlies - Courting Pair

James Yule
01-10-2010, 11:21 PM
I took this back in May of 2007 in Yellowstone. I love being the first out on the road as early as i can. As i turned the bend at Steamboat Point around Yellowstone Lake I saw the 2 bears wrestling around just off the road. I threw my window pod on and began shooting. It was 6:00am and the light was low. They wrestled and courted for about 45 minutes. I think maybe 3 cars showed up the whole time. Anyway the problem I have with the images from that morning is getting the color to look right.

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=206&pictureid=2583

Nikon D2X
Nikon VR 200-400mm F/4G
Shot at 210mm ISO 400
1/200s @ F/4

Alfred Forns
01-10-2010, 11:58 PM
Hi James Sweet interaction and can only say which I was there right behind you !!!

Applied a reflector effect from Nik Filters for a slight warming, Imagine this is just a mater of taste, I do like the balance and feel of your image as posted !!

Todd Frost
01-11-2010, 12:53 AM
James, great moment captured. Like the position of bears in frame. I made a little color cast correction (blur/average/invert/blend mode-color/adj opacity to taste) and a slight warming filter. As Al said, color renditions are a matter of taste, seemed to be a bit of a cast to my eyes in your post. See if you like. Very fine image.
Todd

Ken Watkins
01-11-2010, 04:41 AM
Unfortunately I cannot offer any real way of resolving the darkness of the bears, but I like the image.
The grass in the original looks a little to green inthe second repost the grass is a litlle too yellow.
Alfred's is interesting but the Nik filters are quite expensive.

Marc Mol
01-11-2010, 05:12 AM
Great interaction between these two bears James, with Todd's reposted color rendition looking the truest, to my eyes anyway. Would crop a little off the top for mine.
TFS

Fabs Forns
01-11-2010, 05:39 PM
Great interaction, that makes me very envious!
I like the repost that corrected the slight green cast produced by the low light.

James Yule
01-13-2010, 11:36 PM
ok Alfred I like your edit best. Todd's is good too. Thanks, it really was flat light that morning really complicates the editing process.