PDA

View Full Version : RE: Carry-on Travel Restrictions

Paul Lagasi
01-10-2010, 09:09 AM
Hi All

I was planning a trip to Arizona and New Mexico in February...I was going to book a flight..then I found out Canadians entering into US, can't have any carry-ons.

What are my options for getting my camera's and lenses down there?

I fired off an email to TSA.com because in their new rule.. The way I read it "cameras are allowed on board but not in backpack style cases" which was verified by American Airlines.

Thanks

William Malacarne
01-10-2010, 09:27 AM
There was another thread about travel somewhere in one of the forums and it was suggested to drive into the USA and then fly. I think the person was from Toronto and was going to drive to Buffalo to fly from. Also when did you check about carry on. I have heard that this was going to only be temporary, then it would revert to how it used to be a month or so ago.

Bill

Paul Lagasi
01-10-2010, 10:21 AM
Hi..this was as of yesterday when I called American Airlines to book my flight...thanks

Peter Hawrylyshyn
01-10-2010, 11:28 AM
Paul -
If you check the AA and AIr Canada websites, the restriction only applies to flights from Canada to USA. Passengers on flights from London/Europe are allowed the usual carry-on allowances. The Canadian authorities instituted the change because they did not have the resources ( staff or screening machines) to implement "advanced" screening" of everyone's carry one luggage due to the volume of flights. The post Xmas weekend at Toronto's airport was total chaos.

The Air Canada website initially said it would be until Dec 31st - - now it says indefinitely until further notice.

Because i'm flying to Miami and Belize next weekend - i spoke to AirCanada yesterday. Passengers are still allowed one small personal item. On the AA website they give dimensions of up to 12" x 10" x 6" for a "purse/handbag". Yesterday, Air Canada admitted that there's no TSA guideline or ruling as to what constitutes a purse/handbag. Laptops in cases are permitted, large brief cases are not.

This morning Air Canada posted a new "carry-on" advisory defining a personal item as no larger that 12" by 10" by 8" and weighing less than 22 lbs . It's not great , but better than nothing. I suspect this will become the new "carry-on" standard for Canadian flights into the US.

Your other option - I know some people use FedEx to ship their lenses.

Nicki Gwynn Jones
01-10-2010, 11:59 AM
I am flying from the UK to Miami at the end of the month and have been advised by Virgin Airlines that they will now be enforcing the carry-on weight allowance. This means that I have no choice but to leave behind my 300 f2.8 (as I will also have my laptop) and spend money that I wish I didn't have to on hiring a long lens in the US. I shall also have to risk checking some of my smaller lenses.
Good luck to all,
Nicki
:(

Roger Clark
01-10-2010, 12:23 PM
You can also put a lot of lenses in a photo vest. If you are wearing it, it is not a carry-on.
Roger

Jamie Strickland
01-10-2010, 01:35 PM
I am not sure that will fly now Roger, Heathrow airport was pretty strict before but now who knows

Greg Basco
01-10-2010, 01:35 PM
Hi, this is obviously anecdotal, but I flew from Costa Rica to the US on January 6 and had no problems. I actually was not bringing photo gear as this is just a family visit, but I had my laptop case and then another carry-on about the same size as a Think Tank or other photo gear bag. My two sons traveled with similar luggage, and we were allowed to carry everything on (except two bags of ground coffee, which had to be checked).

So, at least flying from Costa Rica to the US, and at least on Frontier Airlines, and at least the morning of Jan. 6, all was normal. Extra security and screening yes, but nothing that would have caused a photographer any problems at all. As someone who owns a photo tour company in Costa Rica, I was relieved to have this experience!

Cheers,
Greg Basco

Desmond Chan
01-10-2010, 04:44 PM
Hi All

I was planning a trip to Arizona and New Mexico in February...[snip]

What are my options for getting my camera's and lenses down there?

Can you drive there?

Paul Lagasi
01-10-2010, 04:53 PM
Desmond ..thats one heck of a drive (done it once before)...2200 miles to Bosque del Apache, NM....we're giving it some thought but hope these restrictions will be lifted in the coming weeks..If not we'll check out UPS..but that will be last option

Jackie Schuknecht
01-10-2010, 05:00 PM
Paul go to our CATSA site for the latest up to date info. Cameras w dedicated bags, laptops with carrying case among other things is allowed as of yesterday. Also I have a photo vest and it will be stuffed. Just google CATSA for the full list. I am going to the US in about a week and a half.

Desmond Chan
01-10-2010, 05:12 PM
Desmond ..thats one heck of a drive (done it once before)..

I knew.

What are the regulations for carry-ons for US domestic flights? Same I'd assume but not sure.

Dave Leroy
01-10-2010, 06:56 PM
Good site Jackie. I just checked CATSA and it would appear that cameras, gear and purpose designed bags are not considered carry on. So from my reading of it, they are exempt and should be ok to take. Dave

Jackie Schuknecht
01-10-2010, 06:58 PM
Yes Dave they are exempt and allowed. (thanks goodness)

Richard Stern
01-10-2010, 07:25 PM
Here's the current CATSA info. regarding what they consider acceptable. It might change again tomorrow - who knows? (Part 1)

Richard

Richard Stern
01-10-2010, 07:26 PM
....... Part 2

Richard

Paul Lagasi
01-10-2010, 09:26 PM
Thanks Everyone...I appreciate the input...
Jackie have a great trip..
Richard thanks for uploading info....
Desmond we wanted to go to the states and fly out but driving to Rochester, parking car for 8 days added about $400 to trip.

I emailed TSA which is the US counterpart of CATSA, I'll post their answer when I get a reply as to carry-on restrictions in US

Ken Watkins
01-11-2010, 03:46 AM
You can also put a lot of lenses in a photo vest. If you are wearing it, it is not a carry-on.
Roger

Very good advice Roger, I have purchase one from Vested Interest purely to get round the weight and size limitations, not only on commercial flights but on the puddle hoppers in Southern Africa.
On our trip back from Svalbard we had one guy told to lighten his carry on by taking out the camera bodies and carrying them round his neck, can all of this get any sillier?

Arthur Morris
01-11-2010, 05:11 AM
Well, this situation is obviously ridiculous and I am not sure of the work-arounds. If you show up with a vest packed with 30 pounds of gear in your Xtra-hand vest and an 800 on a strap on your shoulder, there is no telling what might happen. (The one thing that has bugged me about the TSA in the US is the inconsistency.) And if you choose to ship your gear by Fed-X there is always the chance of a customs nightmare...

BTW, I got a note from Gary Rouleau stating that there are very few birds at Bosque right now as the meager amount of agricultural food at the refuge has run out. He said that there are virtually no geese and that there are only a very few cranes in the crane pools....

Paul Lagasi
01-11-2010, 02:27 PM
Thanks Artie for the info on Bosque, I'll have to do some research for other locations....

I am going down to Sandia Crest in Albuquerque to photograph Rosy-Finches...reports say that all 3 species have been coming to the feeders at the restaurant. Bosque is local to there.
Then off to Tucson to take a tour around Sulphur Springs Valley in search of Mountain Plover
Up towards Phoenix for Leconte's Thrasher
If I have time left over...its go to Winslow, Arizona to stand on a corner and get my photo taken with my camera....Then back to airport in Albuquerque..home

Roger Clark
01-11-2010, 10:46 PM
Yeah, it's pretty strange, but it satisfies the bean counters.
Roger

Sandra Nykerk
01-12-2010, 10:36 AM
Paul, the best thing in Winslow, Arizona is the La Posada Hotel, the restored Harvey House designed by Mary Coulter. Don't miss it. Also, Route 66 went right through town and through nearby Holbrook, which features an awesome dinosaur/junkyard and the Wigwam Motel. Not birds, but lots of wonderful photo ops.

Paul Lagasi
01-13-2010, 12:12 PM
Thanks Sandra..will check it out