PDA

View Full Version : Bald Eagle

Mark Theriot
01-09-2010, 10:51 PM
Went out today to start getting used to my new 500mm. Feel like all thumbs all over again! This guy was nice enough to just stay put and pose for me!

Mississippi River, Lock and Dam #14
500mm
f/4.5
1/400
ISO 100
+1.3 EV (I went too heavy here, I needed to recover a good bit)

Jeff Cashdollar
01-09-2010, 11:50 PM
I love the species you were working with a steep angle but I find that happens often with Eagles.

Whites looks hot and +1.3 like you said was too much (assume histogram shows clipping).

Remember to always set your exposure to protect your highlights. In this case that white head and tail. Start off at EC=0 (lower if strong light) then shot, check histogram (have blinkies on) make adjustment and go from there.

Interesting thread in the Ed Forum on ISO speed - check it out.

Anyway, keep on practicing and thanks for sharing, you will have the 500 humming in no time.

Lance Peters
01-10-2010, 03:28 AM
hi Mark - Jeff has it pretty much covered - nice advice.
After a while you will get a feel for what EC you need to start at by just looking at what you are going to shoot - a basic understanding of how your camera's metering modes work will be extremely helpful.
Capture angle is a little steep, but not much you could do about it.
Looking forward to seeing more :)

Mark Theriot
01-10-2010, 07:44 AM
Thanks guys. I was able to fully recover with the Recovery slider in Aperture but I had to crank it almost all the way. I need to get better at adjusting ev between shots. I was coming from a sky shot that was properly exposed. (this will continue to be on my "homework" list".

How does the sharpness and detail of the bird look?

Mark

Gus Cobos
01-10-2010, 09:36 AM
Hi Mark,
I like the capture in its natural habitat, the steep capture angle noted, I agree with the techs. and sound advise given. I would like to mention that there is a slight blue color cast in the bird's whites around the head area. Keep up the good work, looking forward to your next one...:cool:

Alfred Forns
01-10-2010, 10:59 AM
Hi Mark

Compensation wise remember it all has to do with what are you metering on !!! Off the sky manually set you would have been close with that compensation but not pointing at the tree, darks will overexpose !!

For steep angle birds is best to use a 2x and go further back, the angle will appear to be less and look better !! ISO wise I don't remember the last bird I did with that low ISO !!! .. you do want that shutter speed .. even for stationary birds ... and if it decides to take off an fly, you won't get it !!!

Oscar Zangroniz
01-10-2010, 09:24 PM
Mark, all techs covered. Anyhow your capture of this majestic bird is awesome and with some practice you'll be able to nail them.
Congrats

Mark Theriot
01-11-2010, 11:39 AM
Great points guys, thanks!

Al, very good point on the shutter speed - run a higher ISO and a higher shutter just in case!

What's the opinion on using Auto ISO - and letting it float up as conditions warrant?

Mark