PDA

View Full Version : Altered Photos OK in Smithsonian Photo Contest

Gus Hallgren
01-09-2010, 04:10 PM
Hi Folks

Smithsonian realizes that it's an art to improve some photos and accepts them.
http://photocontest.smithsonianmag.com/rules.php

What to enter:
The five contest categories are drawn from those subjects of special interest to Smithsonian:
Americana—Events, objects or activities connecting the American people to their history or their cultural heritage.
The Natural World—Animals, plants and landscapes; geological or climatological features; and scientific processes and endeavors.
People—Individuals from all walks of life.
Altered Images—Photographs manipulated for artistic purposes by applying digital and/or traditional special effects (i.e. hand coloring, toning, bleaching, collage and photo composites, etc.).
Travel—Locales, peoples or activities in the United States and abroad that convey a sense of place.

As always preached in BPN by our fouders that enhancing a photo is ethical as long as you mention that you have altered the original.

Keep smiling

Uncle Gus

Mike Milicia
01-09-2010, 04:33 PM
Unfortunately, this contest also seems like a "rights grab" to me. Unless I'm reading this wrong, if you enter the next "Mad Bluebird" photo, Smithsonian can make a bundle selling mugs, posters, t-shirts, etc. without you getting a dime, even if the photo doesn't win anything in the contest. But at least you will get a photo credit.

What rights to my photograph do I retain?
You retain your rights to your photograph; however, by entering the contest, you grant the Smithsonian Institution a royalty-free, world-wide, perpetual, non-exclusive license to display, distribute, reproduce, and create derivative works of the entries, in whole or in part, in any media now existing or subsequently developed, for any Smithsonian Institution purpose, including, but not limited to, advertising and promotion of the magazine and its website, exhibition, and commercial products, including but not limited to Smithsonian Institution publications. Photographs may appear on the Smithsonian Journeys Web site as well as in Journeys publications. Any photograph reproduced will include a photographer credit. The Smithsonian Institution will not be required to pay any additional consideration or seek any additional approval in connection with such uses.

Gus Hallgren
01-09-2010, 05:38 PM
Hi Mike

No free lunch . . . eh!

Love your beautiful calenders

Take care

Gus

BTW: Quite a few folks looking for recognition. :D

Gus Hallgren
01-12-2010, 10:49 AM
Ethics of Photo Manipulation (http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/digitalphotoethics/The_Ethics_of_Digital_Photo_Manipulation.htm) Very interesting reads.

Uncle Gus