PDA

View Full Version : Black Skimmer at Tigertail Beach (Lagoon)

Bob Pelkey
01-09-2010, 12:01 PM
http://www.pbase.com/image/120926574/original.jpg (http://www.pbase.com/image/120926574)

<TABLE cellPadding=1 width=450 align=center border=1><TBODY><TR><TD class=lid noWrap>Date/Time</TD><TD class=lid>07-May-2009 08:56:49</TD></TR><TR><TD class=lid noWrap>Make</TD><TD class=lid>Canon</TD></TR><TR><TD class=lid noWrap>Model</TD><TD class=lid>Canon EOS 5D Mark II</TD></TR><TR><TD class=lid noWrap>Flash Used</TD><TD class=lid>No</TD></TR><TR><TD class=lid noWrap>Focal Length</TD><TD class=lid>840 mm</TD></TR><TR><TD class=lid noWrap>Exposure Time</TD><TD class=lid>1/1000 sec</TD></TR><TR><TD class=lid noWrap>Aperture</TD><TD class=lid>f/10</TD></TR><TR><TD class=lid noWrap>ISO Equivalent</TD><TD class=lid>500</TD></TR><TR><TD class=lid noWrap>Exposure Bias</TD><TD class=lid></TD></TR><TR><TD class=lid noWrap>White Balance</TD><TD class=lid></TD></TR><TR><TD class=lid noWrap>Metering Mode</TD><TD class=lid>matrix (5)</TD></TR><TR><TD class=lid noWrap>JPEG Quality</TD><TD class=lid></TD></TR><TR><TD class=lid noWrap>Exposure Program</TD><TD class=lid>shutter priority (2)</TD></TR><TR><TD class=lid noWrap>Focus Distance</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

This image is a rework of one I posted at pbase quite some time ago. I made a poor effort to improve the shot by eliminating a couple of oblong reflections in the upper third of the image (ahead of the skimmer). The photograph has been cropped significantly, lightened, sharpened, with additional lightening on the head and nape of the skimmer with a darkening of the highlight on the secondaries. Slight overall positive contrast adjustment made. Tripod used. The originally uploaded image may be seen here . . . http://www.pbase.com/jkrnm5/image/113312298/original

Don Lacy
01-09-2010, 12:23 PM
Hi Bob, I really like the concept of the image especially the way the backlighting highlights the spray around the head. I think the image would be stronger if the eye was visible the skimmer is sharp enough that you expect to be able to see one and the fact that you cant makes it hard for me to connect to the image.

Desmond Chan
01-09-2010, 04:09 PM
I think the perspective and timing are very good. It looks to me this photo could use a bit more room at the top though. It would even be better if the eye is more visible. A bit sharpening is what I would do, too.

Joe Brown
01-09-2010, 04:22 PM
As someone who has tried and failed to capture skimmers skimming this is an impressive shot. I love the spray coming off the head. I agree that it could use a bit more room at the top and the eye would be nice.

Joe

Bob Pelkey
01-09-2010, 10:01 PM
Oops. I was afraid after I did what I did that I would see what I see. A modified version based on recommendations for this shot replaced the original. Here's the commentary that I was going to make . . .

Much thanks for the feedback on this shot. I see why I cropped so low initially in a third look at the image. Here's another (preferred) crop. When I went back to the original image as edited, I noted that it also has a +.40% rotation as well which I've kept. In this latest version, the image has been sharpened more heavily and lightened. It also has had the eye enhanced. I've taken enough shots of this species to know that it's difficult in most instances to have clear definition of the eye which can only really be appreciated from extremely close range or under ideal lighting conditions. I haven't made the other enhancements with this version as described above beyond what's noted here.