PDA

View Full Version : Shadows and Light

Anita Rakestraw
01-08-2010, 06:58 PM
It's really cold here, the birds aren't cooperative, and we don't have much in the way of exciting scenery. To feed my photography addiction, I'm playing with HDR, panos, etc. with what's available. :D All comments/suggestions welcome!!

1-08-20, 4:30 p.m.
1DMkIII, 24-70mm @ 64mm
ISO 400, 1/125, f/19

Kerry Perkins
01-08-2010, 07:08 PM
Hi Anita,
We're suffering through 75 degree weather here but I'm originally from Indiana, so I know what you mean! :)

The image certainly conveys a sense of the cold and the snow is very pretty, but my eye can't find a primary subject or a place to call home. My eye starts at the nicely lit ramp of snow (but I can't make out what it is), then goes out over the field to the tree line, then back down to the mounds of snow, over to the trees on the left - well, you get the idea!

It seems like you could make a stronger image by cropping almost half off the top, losing the tree line and featuring the snow ramp and the little mounds. Then there would be a nice anchor and flow to the image. Just my two pennies worth, if that. ;)

Anita Rakestraw
01-08-2010, 07:41 PM
Don't you miss those Indiana winters, Kerry? :eek: Thanks very much for your critique. I have a shot that sounds more like what you suggest; maybe I'll post it tomorrow to see if it seems any stronger. Thanks again!

Jeff Cashdollar
01-08-2010, 08:02 PM
I am from Indiana too and Kerry said it best. Looking forward to seeing more of your work Anita - TFS.

Kerry Perkins
01-08-2010, 08:10 PM
Don't you miss those Indiana winters, Kerry? :eek:

Not so much! :D What I do miss are the cardinals, blue jays, pheasants, bobwhites, and other birds that we don't see out here. I was thrilled to find a whole flock of cedar waxwings last year though! :)

Gus Cobos
01-08-2010, 09:20 PM
Hi Anita,
I like the image as presented...I cropped to Kerry's suggestion and it does make it a stronger composition. It all depends on what you are try to convey to the viewer. I do notice a slight blue cast on the snow...looking forward to your next image...:cool:

Lance Peters
01-09-2010, 01:13 AM
hi anita - like it as presented - would remove the blue cast from the snow :)
Nice.

Bob Decker
01-09-2010, 06:48 AM
Wow, lot of ex-Hoosiers here. I spent most of my life in Indiana as well. Your image serves as a great reminder of one of the primary reasons I relocated south. ;) As others mentioned, I'm seeing a bit of a blue cast in the snow and agree there seems to be a lack of a primary focal point to draw my attention.

Anita Rakestraw
01-09-2010, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the comments, everyone. Interesting about the "hoosiers" on the site!