PDA

View Full Version : Gatorland Rookery Update - January 2010

Mike Godwin
01-08-2010, 04:49 PM
Howdy Folks!

It's that time of year again... and while the weather has been rather chilly lately, it hasn't stopped a few pairs of Great Egrets from making nests. At this point we have 4 sitting pairs along the Northwestern boardwalk and several more pairs building along the east bank across from the North Gazebo. Hundreds of White Ibis are arriving nightly to roost within the Breeding Marsh along with smaller numbers of Little Blue & Tricolored Herons, Snowy & Cattle Egrets, as well as Anhingas and Cormorants. The Great Blue Herons are plentiful but have shown no interest in nesting. Several Woodstorks are within the Breeding Marsh, but there is no sign of any nest construction. The Limpkin is very active throughout the day, fishing for freshwater mollusks and calling for its mate. The Spoonbills are around, but do not spend any consistent time in the Marsh, preferring to hang around the South Lake just south of the flamingos. Night Herons have been active throughout the day, and can be found around the North Lake as well as in the Breeding Marsh.

Gatorland's "Dawn to Dusk" extended hours program will begin Wednesday, February 3, 2010 with Breeding Marsh only access 7:30am - Dusk every Wednesday through Sunday. The "Dawn to Dusk" extended hours will run through Saturday, July 31, 2010. (Dusk exit times vary depending upon time of year).

Until then, access to the Rookery is during normal business hours (9:00am - 5:00pm).

Happy New Year Everyone!

Mike Godwin
Gatorland

Adams Serra
01-08-2010, 07:54 PM
Thank you for the up date Mike.

Rich Ikerd
01-09-2010, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the update Mike. Can't wait to get back and see what's new in the Rookery.

Nancy A Elwood
01-09-2010, 08:29 PM
Does anyone have a hotel suggestion? I have a gentleman coming from the Boca area to take my workshop at Gatorland and would like a suggestion of a hotel. I have looked at different links, but if someone has a recommendation that would be great! Thanks

Mike Godwin
01-11-2010, 02:19 AM
Hi Nancy,

There are tons of hotels to fit every budget close to Gatorland. At this time we don't have a preferred hotel, but some folks have been staying around the Florida Mall which is about 10 minutes away. Here's a link to a list around that area: http://www.hotels-rates.com/hotels/locations/Orlando/FL/usa/4180/#trafficLogID=576149050&visited=true&clickingLogId=64204742&subAffiliateID=0&campaignID=0&cityID=4&adid=0

Again, I can't recommend any particular one, just check the reviews for a better idea of the rooms and location, most should be A-OK.

Mike Godwin
Gatorland

PS. Can't wait to see you all again, should be a great year of birding... when it warms up that is!

Judd Patterson
01-12-2010, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the update Mike! It sounds like the Breeding Marsh is preparing for another stellar season.

Mike Godwin
01-19-2010, 07:24 PM
Howdy Folks!

Just got back from Gatorland and thought you might like to know what's happening now! Tonight there were probably 50 Great Egrets hanging around the Rookery with 17 constructed nests. Lot's of Great Egret courtship behavior and nest building activity on both sides of the Rookery. 3 Spoonbills were perched on the East Bank giving a great photo opportunity for those with bigger glass. A Belted Kingfisher was quite active feeding along the East bank across from the North Gazebo, as was a pair of Tricolored Herons. Quite a few Woodstorks were around, several appear to be staking out some nesting sites along the East bank. The Anhingas were also fishing in the Rookery and I did notice some brief courtship with them in the Cypress tree along the East bank. The Limpkins are very active feeding on mollusks and flying around. Saw 3 Night Herons and 1 Green Heron posing along the walkway. The White Ibis are still flying in by the hundreds to roost, and the Cormorants have a ton of nests on the South Island across from the flamingos.While it's still early, there is plenty to see... should be a great year of birding at the park!

Mike Godwin
Gatorland

AJ Witt
01-20-2010, 01:09 PM
I have never been to the rookery at Gatorland and am thinking about heading down there for the first time this weekend. What time of day is best there?

Also, a 400mm is the longest lens I have, is that long enough to get good shots there?

Thanks for any input anyone may have!

AJ

Nancy A Elwood
01-20-2010, 04:08 PM
I have never been to the rookery at Gatorland and am thinking about heading down there for the first time this weekend. What time of day is best there?

Also, a 400mm is the longest lens I have, is that long enough to get good shots there?

Thanks for any input anyone may have!

AJ

I would wait until Mike opens early 7:30AM for ones with the photographers pass and can stay late, until around sunset. Those are the better hours. Also 400mm is plenty. Feb 3rd is when he is starting those hours.

Rocky Sharwell
01-20-2010, 05:32 PM
I would agree with what Nancy said. In the mornings last year I found myself using the 70-200F4IS and a converter more than anything else. I found myself with my 4005.6 or my 600 in the evenings.

Robert Amoruso
01-23-2010, 11:37 AM
Back in December I stopped by on a recommendation from Mike and found quite a lot of activity and was very busy for the few hours I was there. One of the images I created, the Great Blue Heron here, a favorite from the afternoon. The overcast conditions made for some great shooting.

I had photographed at Gatorland on and off between 2004 and 2007 but once Mike started up the program seriously in 2008, I have made this my signature location for rookery tours. It is that good. Both 2008 and 2009 were great seasons and 2010 will be even better.

Mike Godwin
01-23-2010, 03:21 PM
http://gatorland.com/blogs/rookery/files/2010/01/dsc_6676-copy2-copy.jpg
Gatorland Rookery at dusk 1/22/2010

For those of you who may have never visited Gatorland's Rookery, here's a shot from the south end looking north across the main waterway. On the right is the "east bank" section which requires the longer lenses as you will be photographing that activity from the boardwalk, tower, and gazebos situated on the left (western side) of the Rookery. Most of the activity is found north of the tower, on both sides of the boardwalk. Along the walkway I prefer a smaller zoom and use a 70-200 primarily. Shooting the east bank will require bigger glass, and a 300mm is probably minimum for shooting across the water.

Personally, I prefer shooting later in the day as the number of opportunities increases dramatically with the arrival of the roosting birds. As you can see in the photo above taken yesterday, there's a couple of birds to choose from. ;)

Mike Godwin
Gatorland

Amy cummings
07-17-2010, 07:34 AM
Wow i love all the photos. Mike you really take nice shots. when is the best time to get the best shots?