PDA

View Full Version : Sharpe's grysbok

Betsie Storm
01-08-2010, 02:51 PM
As per avian forum, apologies for long silence- work and a 3 week bush trip interfered:). Will try to keep at image pp'ing and posting; BPN is good for staying disciplined with image workup.
Hope 2010 will be a great year for everyone.
Spent 2 weeks in Northern Kruger and found this little Sharpe's grysbok ("grey buck") ewe in the Punda Maria area. They are very shy and normally disappear as soon as one stops the vehicle and pick up the camera- she was very obliging and posed for a few shots. She appears to be pregnant. This was the only image with her ears turned towards the camera. The grass is really that green; the area seem to have had good rains with soft green grass everywhere. Added some vignetting, cropped a bit and sharpened. Did not add extra canvas for the virtual feet- did not think I could recreate the grass convincingly. C&C welcome.

EXIF:
Camera Model: Canon EOS-1D Mark II N
Date/Time: 2009:12:30 11:49:04
Shutter speed: 1/800 sec
Aperture: 5.6
Exposure mode: Av
Flash: Off
Metering mode: Evaluative
Drive mode: Continuous
ISO: 800
Lens: EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
Focal length: 400mm
AF mode: AI Servo AF

Marc Mol
01-08-2010, 05:04 PM
A fine image here Betsie, with the vignetting suiting. You've done very well to capture these normally shy antelope.
Only nit might be to darken the BG a touch.
TFS

Joe Senzatimore
01-08-2010, 09:34 PM
Sweet looking animal captured very well. Great habit shown. Agree about making the BG a bit darker.

Ken Watkins
01-08-2010, 10:59 PM
Congratulations on finding one of these more so one who stood still for long enough to capture an image.
I like the image as presented but perhaps not the vignetting. No problem for me with the "virtual" legs, as they are not very tall (40-60 cm). Looks quite plump, perhaps the patter of very tiny feet soon?

Todd Frost
01-09-2010, 12:39 AM
Nice image of antelope in its surroundings. Sharp where it counts, agree with above on darkening bg.
Todd

Morkel Erasmus
01-09-2010, 02:33 AM
glad you had a good trip Betsie! I must say I have never seen the Shingwedzi and Punda areas that green and it was great being there. we also found some of these lovely little antelopes. nice shot here, feet don't bother and would agree with darkening the BG.

I'm curious as to your experience @ Mapungubwe?

Callie de Wet
01-11-2010, 01:36 PM
Nicely done Betsie, she is a real little lady. I want to agree with Ken on the virtual leg space, bur feel maybe a cm more would do it for me.

Elmar Venter
01-11-2010, 01:41 PM
Betsie, super shot of a rare sighting. Well done.

Betsie Storm
01-18-2010, 06:09 AM
Thanks everyone for kind comments & suggestions.