PDA

View Full Version : Reflections

Stu Bowie
01-08-2010, 08:19 AM
This is the Milnerton Lagoon, a suburb of Cape Town. We sit along the edge as it is a popular birding spot, and not short of capturing BIF. I couldnt resist the reflection in the early morning light, on a windless day. Took out my spare body, the trusted 20D, and this is what I came away with. The far side is a golf course.

Canon 20D
24-105 @ 55mm
1/400
F/10
ISO 400

Exp Comp 0
Hand Held

Kaustubh Deshpande
01-08-2010, 10:23 AM
Loved the comp. Stuart. Excellent placement of the trees in the frame. For some reason, I am liking the imbalance( left heavy) in the shot. I'd have not composed this way. But the photographer in me gets distracted by the birds:-) I think it would have been better without them...but that might just be me. Very fine shot.

Robert Amoruso
01-08-2010, 11:56 AM
I like the trees and the reflections, but I am not too crazy about the golf course. Sorry Stuart.

Stu Bowie
01-08-2010, 01:26 PM
Thanks a stack KD and Robert.

Robert, no problem regarding the golf course. I accept it, and Im totally fine with that. ( been on the site long enough )

Dave Mills
01-08-2010, 01:58 PM
Hi Stuart, The color and lighting in the image is beautiful. I took the liberty to show a few other ideas regarding compositions. I cleaned up a few things on the golf course I felt were distracting.

Stu Bowie
01-08-2010, 02:58 PM
Thanks a stack Dave. Thats why this site is so great. I like both versions of yours, and as hard as I try, I cant choose one over the other. Much appreciated.

Anita Rakestraw
01-08-2010, 11:41 PM
Stuart, to me it's a lovely scenic, not that much different from what I might find around here, actually. The lighting is great! I might be tempted to remove the signs of civilization on the golf course, altho I don't find them all that distracting.

Lance Warley
01-09-2010, 11:17 AM
I like all three. The reflection is superb. And the serene feeling is wonderful.

The only change I'd suggest in the original, Stuart, is to crop some off the top and some of the left side, keepiing the proportions the same, or close to the same.

Stu Bowie
01-10-2010, 12:02 PM
Anita, Lance, thanks a stack for your feedback.

Morkel Erasmus
01-10-2010, 03:50 PM
sweet light and reflections mate.
love Dave's second comp the most, as I'm not too keen on the golf course being visible either!

Roman Kurywczak
01-10-2010, 09:09 PM
Hey Stuart,
I think the OP comp is fine although the crops work too. I woul definitely get rid of the man made elements and the birds.....they don't add to the scene for me. I would normally recommend darkening the scene overall.....but I like the pastels as presented. If you are ok with removal....I would go that route!

Vida van der Walt
01-11-2010, 06:41 AM
Beautiful image Stu. I prefer your original comp and would leave the birds where they are. Agree on removing the few man made elements but not a big issue to me.:)

Stu Bowie
01-11-2010, 12:52 PM
Mork, Roman, Vida, thanks a stack for your comments.