PDA

View Full Version : red-billed gull

Martin Wallis
01-07-2010, 05:54 PM
Hi all, my first post. I want to learn fast, so be harsh. :)

Daniel Cadieux
01-07-2010, 08:30 PM
Hi Martin, welcome to BPN!!

Nice looking gull here with a nice clean plumage. I like the water ripple reflections on its body. Interesting pose with an OK head turn. Good colours and sharp enough as presented.

Now for the "harsh" stuff:D

First thing that comes to mind is the angle to the bird. Whenever possible, going down as low as you can (down to eye level if possible) will almost always give you better and more intimate results - and will often help in getting a distant looking OOF BG. Also try to get closer if the bird tolerates it. If not already cropped I would crop it some to make the subject larger in the frame, and also to de-center it. The rock next to the head is a distraction, and would be easily cloned or patched out for a cleaner finish. Lastly, whenever possible, try to point your shadow towards the subject as it will give you more even lighting on it (here we can see shade on the left part creeping onto the gull).

You've certainly come to the right place for learning and you seem very eager to do so...here's hoping to see more from you:).

P.S. Don't forget to add some info such as camera model and lens, and the exif (shutter speed, aperture, ISO, EC, etc...). This will better help us help you!

Martin Wallis
01-07-2010, 10:08 PM
Hi Daniel thanks for your advice. I'd never thought about lining up my shadow with the bird for even lighting, but now it makes perfect sense. Also, I haven't cropped yet so I will crop some from the left & bottom.
P.S. my favourite shot on this site so far was a blue heron sillhouette with an orange glow and splashed water around it that you shot a few months ago;)
Cheers

Daniel Cadieux
01-08-2010, 05:45 AM
You are quite welcome Martin, and thanks for the heron silhouette accolades!!