PDA

View Full Version : Nossob Sunrise (take 1: Silhouette)

Morkel Erasmus
01-07-2010, 07:59 AM
I am STILL working through the mountain of images I created last year. I guess it's a good thing, though, since I don't have any trips coming up to add to that mountain I can now get a bit of processing done. :)

This was a glorious sunrise in the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park one morning. We were camping at the Nossob camp which sits in the dry Nossob riverbed.

Being limited in compositional variety to having to sit in the vehicle and shooting from the window beanbag, I did what I could with the few fleeting moments of gorgeous light we had. I know the ground looks like it's sloping but there were a few other bushes on the right which gave the horizon a bit of bulge. I tried to gauge the leveling by the tree.

This is my first take - a silhouette version. Those who know me by now will know that there's an HDR coming up in "take 2" ;).

Would love to have your thoughts on this. I know the dry bush is a bit busy but as I said, fleeting moment, had to put something there...

Techs:
Canon 1000D with 18-55mm IS @ 18mm
f22 @ 1/100 SS @ ISO-100
Exp -0.3
Pushed blacks in FG during PP to enhance the silhouetted look.
Used f22 for a solar flare effect.

Bill Ragan
01-07-2010, 08:23 AM
I like it. Just for conversation, I would say that using a neutral density or blue gradient filter (such as a Cokin 120 or 122) might have changed the shot a little, perhaps even improving it somewhat. It may have intensified the clouds and opened up the foreground and still left the tree sillouhetted, too. Do you use such filters?

Morkel Erasmus
01-07-2010, 08:26 AM
thanks Bill. the kit lens on the 1000D doesn't take filters. I was about to purchase a 16-35mm L II before I dabbled with some Nikon equipment and am now contemplating a move to the dark side. I do want to start using filters but I need premium landscape glass first :)

Bill Ragan
01-07-2010, 08:55 AM
Morkel,

If you had the camera on a tripod, you could hold the Cokin filter in front of the camera. They are square plastic oversized filters.

Bill

Morkel Erasmus
01-07-2010, 09:07 AM
o okay - thanks for the info.
the camera was balanced on the window bean bag as you are not allowed to leave your vehicle in this predator-infested park :)

Dave Mills
01-07-2010, 11:05 AM
Hi Morkel, Great time of day with pronounced rays of light. I also like how you positioned the tree a bit offset. I feel there is too much neg space on the bottom and would crop off about 2/3rds of it otherwise well handled...

Elmar Venter
01-07-2010, 11:36 AM
Morkel, indeed spectacular light. I agree on taking from the bottom and perhaps even a slice from the right to place the dead tree more towards the right of the frame. Can't wait for the HDR version.

Gerald_Gilligan
01-07-2010, 01:36 PM
The Rays are spectacular, I agree with the crop suggestions as it may strengthen the silhouette...

Valerio Tarone
01-07-2010, 04:26 PM
Hi Morkel I've been in Kgalagadi 3 years ago and it's unforgettable. Probably I'll return. Like the rays and spreading of clouds . NB. I don't many images of wildlife from you!!!!

Morkel Erasmus
01-07-2010, 04:29 PM
thanks Dave, Valerie, Elmar & Gerald...

Valerie - it sure is a magic place! your last sentence was a bit confusing??

recomp as suggested!

Roman Kurywczak
01-07-2010, 04:32 PM
Hey Morkel,
I'm a huge fan of silhouettes......especially when there is such a great sunray sky! Great job following Dave's suggestion.....works for me!

Stu Bowie
01-08-2010, 12:42 AM
Hey mate, the rays of sunlight make this for me, and the well placed tree works well. No doubt, you will create an HDR from this and many more.

Morkel Erasmus
01-08-2010, 12:51 AM
thanks for the comments Roman & Stu...

Vida van der Walt
01-08-2010, 02:51 AM
Beautiful image Morkel! Love those rays of light and clouds. I also prefer the cropped version.:)

Robert Amoruso
01-08-2010, 11:44 AM
Morkel,

The cropped repost is just right. To bad you could not have left the car. If you could have, walking up to this tree and going low/looking up would have been great.

Morkel Erasmus
01-08-2010, 01:11 PM
thanks Robert & Vida!

Robert - yes it is a pity...there are such great landscape compositions in this park...if only...