PDA

View Full Version : Raven re-post - black bird with detail

Kerry Perkins
01-07-2010, 01:39 AM
The question was posed "is it possible to get detail in a black bird?". I think that, with the right light, it is definitely possible.

Captured at Yellowstone, in the parking lot for Artist's Point. It was raining off and on, and this raven perched on a rock right next to my car as I was leaving. The web doesn't even show all the detail in this image. I have a 6000x4800 pixel image in my gallery that really shows the detail. But you have to print it to see it. :-)

50D, EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS
Aperture priority, f/8@1/30, evaluative metering EC -2/3 ISO 100 WB 5100K
AI Servo autofocus, HH, no flash

Lance Peters
01-07-2010, 01:50 AM
Love the detail - Kerry. The rain on the feathers is lovely.
100% correct - correct light is the key, did you take any with flash??? Dont think they would have been anywere near as good as this.
Might crop some from the top.

Big congrats :) :)

Kerry Perkins
01-07-2010, 02:02 AM
Thanks Lance. I only had time to quickly change from the 28-135mm to the 70-200mm lens and did not use any flash on this guy. He was only there for about a minute and then moved on. :)

Marc Mol
01-07-2010, 02:32 AM
Just wondering why only 1/30s? No time to raise the ISO?
Splendid image BTW, great detail even with down scaled web image.

Kerry Perkins
01-07-2010, 03:14 AM
Marc, I wanted "ISO priority mode" to capture the most detail with the least noise. I knew the lens would work with the slow SS, so that's what I chose. Also, the bird was not moving around so I thought I had a pretty good chance at getting a clean image.

Gus Cobos
01-07-2010, 05:44 AM
This is really sweet Kerry...very, very nice. I like the close up pose and framing showing the fine feather details and that wet look...LOVE IT...:D The head angle and sharp eye are dead on...well done Sir...show me more...:cool:

Alfred Forns
01-07-2010, 07:53 AM
The rain helped you out Kerry, just perfect conditions for the bird !!!! Detail is possible and you got the proof !! Big Congrats on this one !!! .... all I can say sure wish it was mine :)

Thanaboon Jearkjirm
01-07-2010, 09:16 AM
I really like this portrait, the sharpness, the background and the amazing details in the black, wonderful.

Bill Dix
01-07-2010, 09:21 AM
Kerry - Perfect light and stunning proof that you can get details out of a black bird. Nicely placed in frame. Also a good tip to try Auto ISO. I never think to do that, but it worked for you here and I'll give it a try. Thanks for sharing.

Karl Witt
01-07-2010, 10:11 AM
Hello Kerry
I am new here but not new to viewing some great images. I too have always been fascinated with finding detail in black birds, Grackles being a favorite.

I see some wonderful detail in the neck and chin feathering and love the irredecense picked up on the shoulders showing hues of blue and purples. Great shot with a great mood conveyance in the 'stormy' light and the wet feathers though I do see blues skies and white clouds in the eye!

I like this shot.

Karl

Jeff Cashdollar
01-07-2010, 11:20 AM
That much detail with that shutter well done.

Very creative techs.

Amazing picture and one of the best Black Bird images I have seen!

Taken in the parking lot, you never know where the shot might be - great job Kerry!

Kerry Perkins
01-07-2010, 11:21 PM
Bill, to clarify here - I used aperture priority, but set the ISO to 100 manually for minimal noise with all that black.

Alfred Forns
01-08-2010, 11:09 AM
.... great point on the low ISO .... does show big time in dark areas !!!!

Doug Brown
01-10-2010, 09:12 AM
Super image Kerry! Those blacks look great, with tremendous detail.