PDA

View Full Version : Waiting for Dark

Steve Canuel
01-07-2010, 01:37 AM
Captured during a cold, February late afternoon. The sun was already well behind the mountains but left a nicely colored sunset sky. And I always liked owl silhouettes. Started showing a little artifact when sized for display. 20D, 500/4 + 1.4xTC, f9, 1/30s, ISO 400, -1/3 EC, tripod mount, cropped a little from bottom and sides.

Bill Jobes
01-07-2010, 05:14 AM
The varied and rich hues of the sky are striking, Steve.

Marc Mol
01-07-2010, 07:14 AM
Lovely colors in this sky Steve, would have preferred the Owl facing us for better definition.
Still a fine composition nonetheless.
TFS

david cramer
01-07-2010, 07:39 AM
Very peaceful image. Nice silhouette with great bg colors.

Randy Stout
01-07-2010, 08:29 AM
Steve:

As mentioned, lovely colors here. I agree with Marc about the shape. A bit too blocky and indistinct as to what bird it is. A better profile view would have helped.

Randy

Steve Canuel
01-07-2010, 09:01 AM
Thanks for the comments. She is a little stout looking. I think she was puffed up to deal with the cold (in the 20s that afternoon). As for the angle, I liked the fact she was looking towards the mountains but if the left ear tuft hadn't been visible (just slightly), I probably wouldn't have kept this one. I'm fortunate to have other silhouettes with more head on views though. Thanks again for the look and input.

Stu Bowie
01-07-2010, 09:37 AM
Hey Steve, there is that hint of the ear tuft, defining her as an owl, thus saving your silhouette. What works for me is the complete darkened silhouette, including the foliage, against those wonderful colours of the sunset. Looking forward to the others in your series. Cheers.

Todd Frost
01-07-2010, 10:03 AM
Nice silhouette, as mentioned visible ear tufts give ness feel for this one. Love the bg colors. Well done.
Todd

Juan Carlos Vindas
01-07-2010, 12:25 PM
Lovely image. The BG colors and the dark silhouette makes this one for me.

Steve Maxson
01-07-2010, 02:53 PM
Hi Steve. Love the colors and the comp. I also like that it is looking off into the distance rather than directly at the camera. I think the image would be stronger if the beak was showing more in the profile (realizing that owl beaks don't protrude very far). :)

Steve Canuel
01-07-2010, 08:12 PM
Hey Stuart, thanks for the comments but no more from this series. The owl flew off soon after this shot.

Todd, Juan, thanks for the look and comments.

Hi Steve, thanks for the comments. As you noted, these owls aren't much for profile shots.