PDA

View Full Version : McGinniss' Mallard

Julie Kenward
01-06-2010, 09:12 PM
I named this one after my favorite pastor who always seems to be sitting with a smile on his face despite all the crazy stuff going on around him. ;)

I started with one of my favorite mallard images from last year, added a texture in overlay mode over the top, went to the PS filters menu and added a craquelure filter over that, took it into Nik Viveza 2 and did a curves adjustment, and then finished it with a dark edge/light center filter in Nik Color Efex. Whew!

I still think I might not be done with this one but that's enough for tonight! :D

Cindy Mead
01-06-2010, 09:25 PM
I really like the comp Jules- the mallard looks so totally relaxed :) Good choice of filters, they really add alot of depth to the image. There's alot about this one to enjoy, and can't see anything I'd change.. really well done :)

denise ippolito
01-06-2010, 09:38 PM
Jules, The effect came out lovely. I might be tempted to take a little off the top. The colors of the BG are fantastic. The craquelure filter looks really good:)

Indranil Sircar
01-06-2010, 10:32 PM
Beautifully composition, Julie. I like the low angle and the posture of the mallard. The colors and the background texture is very nice. Great use of the filters. Nicely done.

Julie Kenward
01-07-2010, 07:48 AM
Thanks everyone for your kind words. Denise, I think you're right - probably should knock a little off the top. I'll reposition the texture layer and see if I can't get the good stuff to move down closer to the duck and whack a little off.

Myer Bornstein
01-07-2010, 09:14 AM
I like it but would crop a little of the bottom where the blurred foreground is, that distracts me

Paul Lagasi
01-07-2010, 05:51 PM
Nice composition...I might rotate a bit CW..but thats only me...TFS

Julie Kenward
01-07-2010, 08:34 PM
Thanks Myer...now I'm thinking between your and Denise's suggestions I might go pano with this. Yes, Paul I should CW him but I kind of like him cockeyed - like he's just settling down. Good eye, though!

Cheryl Slechta
01-07-2010, 08:54 PM
Jules, I love the craquelure texture. I'd hate to lose the really nice colors at the very top but would like to see
it as more of a pano look. Could you remove a tad above the foliage and merge the top down?