PDA

View Full Version : Habitat Disappearing

wendell westfall
01-06-2010, 07:56 PM
D70s 70-200VR@102 1/1000 f/8.0 ISO400 -2/3EV handheld

This morning, again, I watched as workers chopped down bullrushes that thickly surround two large adjacent ponds, and photographed the birds tromping around over the fallen foliage, which is in a floating state and has not yet been removed. But not to worry, there are many other ponds nearby where the birdlife can and will establish new hangouts. This guy surveys his changed "digs." I know the background is thick and distracting, but I wanted to show it. The image is heavily cropped, and I used NR and USM and brightened the eye. I wish Mr. Heron stood out better. Suggestions appreciated . . . .

Wendell

Lance Peters
01-07-2010, 01:44 AM
Hi Wendell -your PP has improved a lot!! Not much you could do about the BG other than shooting wide open - dont think it would have made a lot of difference.
Exposure looks good and nice fine feather details. Light angle looks a little off - but bird is evenly illuminated - all that matters.

Kerry Perkins
01-07-2010, 01:58 AM
Hi Wendell,
Nice capture and I really like your narrative about what is happening to the habitat. IMO the message that the image conveys makes up for the loss of detail caused by the cropping. You are telling the story and that means a lot to me. Well done!

Gus Cobos
01-07-2010, 05:29 AM
Hi Wendell,
I like the capture in the bird's natural habitat. I agree with Mr. Peters on the techs. and with Mr. Perkins with his sound advise. You do have good details on your subject, and the color rendition is good considering the angled harsh lighting...you did well my friend...:) Looking forward to your next one...:cool:

Thanaboon Jearkjirm
01-07-2010, 09:41 AM
I like the bird pose, it goes together with the story, looks like it is checking the surrounding. Also like your idea of brighten the eye up, nicely done.

Alfred Forns
01-08-2010, 11:14 AM
Surrounding is not bad at all, bg is uniform and works Just wish you could get closer to fill the frame more !!! btw one of the ways we can tell the large crop is from the great dof .. its a give away !!! A full frame at that aperture would not have nearly as much !!!