PDA

View Full Version : Icebergs in the mist

Per-Gunnar Ostby
01-06-2010, 07:50 PM
A stunning sunset during a recent trip to the Weddell Sea. A relatively warm and windless day caused mist to start forming just before sunset and from the top of the ship all you could see above the mist were the peaks of some massive icebergs peaking out. I felt very privileged to witness this

Gerald_Gilligan
01-07-2010, 12:18 AM
Wow, I like this image...but I keep thinking that I might hurt my eyes if I keep looking at it. I think that the sun keeps my eye from wandering around the frame...great color too, I would prefer to see this as a pano...privileged for sure !

Jerry

Morkel Erasmus
01-07-2010, 08:07 AM
gorgeous simplicity!! I also think it might benefit from toning down the highlights (especially the sun) just a tad more. lovely colour and mood...

Sarah Jessup
01-07-2010, 09:15 AM
I love the icebergs in the mist, but I second the vote for a pano crop.

Dave Mills
01-07-2010, 11:00 AM
Hi, Very different and a most interesting image. Between the peaks,mist and sun are all working well together. The image is almost appearing like an alien landscape. Tow other recommended a pano crop which I happen to agree with.(crop about 1/3 of the sky)I might even crop a small amount off the right to where the peak starts rising. All in all an image that holds my attention!!

Per-Gunnar Ostby
01-07-2010, 01:38 PM
Thanks for all your great comments.

Here is a pano version

Per-Gunnar Ostby
01-07-2010, 01:39 PM
And here is another one taken just moments afterwards just to the right of this shot. This one has far more delicate colours

Dave Mills
01-07-2010, 02:57 PM
Hi, I like the repost.
I also like the one above. The colors are delicate with the mist taking it to another level. I would crop an inch off the top. Not radical but having 2/3rds sky and 1/3rd base...

Roman Kurywczak
01-07-2010, 04:29 PM
Hi Per,
Nice job following the recommendations above. I might go a bit more with the re-post pano crop (just don't clip the sun glow).....but nice simplicity and wonderful colors!

Lance Warley
01-07-2010, 06:42 PM
Talk about alien landscapes. Both are stunning. Great originality.

I agree with the pano suggestions.

Stu Bowie
01-08-2010, 12:39 AM
I really like the mood, and what amazing colours. I like your repost, and your other image. Im sure you captured quite a few in this sequence.

Mike Fuhr
01-08-2010, 07:27 AM
And here is another one taken just moments afterwards just to the right of this shot. This one has far more delicate colours

Love this second post -- I keep seeing a woman's face looking up toward the UR corner...:)

Robert Amoruso
01-08-2010, 11:38 AM
I like the reposted pano though I have no problem with expansive skies such as the OP as long as it helps to maintain the feel of the image as I believe it does.

Great looking second image - in the future, please post new images in a new thread to be in compliance with the critique forum guidelines. Thanks.