PDA

View Full Version : Back in Badwater

Michael Pancier
02-19-2008, 10:06 AM
Death Valley National Park - California

Another image that would have perhaps been ignored if not for my use of Photomatix Pro as a Raw Converter.

I'm really impressed on how this program really brings out the details of the image by creating a pseudo HDR from a single raw file.

The shot was taken with 5d and 17-40L with polarizer on tripod w/cable release.
1/60
f/9.1
ISO 320 (it was very windy down there)

converted in photomatix pro; loaded into lightroom; cleaned up in PS CS 3 (cloned out dust and added noise ninja to remove some noise; and Nik Color Effects Pro 3.0 (a ND grad layer to enhance the sky)

Alfred Forns
02-19-2008, 12:43 PM
I'm amazed also Mike !!! It looks surreal !!! Love the cover effect with the clouds Big Congrats

Could you post an image with just ACR processing for comparison? Would be interesting Could even post the original and HDR version in the Eager to Learn gallery I'm sure it will be much appreciated !!!

Michael Pancier
02-19-2008, 12:48 PM
I'm amazed also Mike !!! It looks surreal !!! Love the cover effect with the clouds Big Congrats

Could you post an image with just ACR processing for comparison? Would be interesting Could even post the original and HDR version in the Eager to Learn gallery I'm sure it will be much appreciated !!!

good call. maybe i'll do a quick essay on it for comparisons....

LeeOtsubo
02-19-2008, 01:15 PM
Michael,
That's outstanding! A bit too much sky for my taste but perfectly renders my memories of Badwater.

The first time I went, not knowing what to expect, I thought there was a town named Badwater. Got there and all I found was - bad water. Duh!

Michael Pancier
02-19-2008, 01:24 PM
Michael,
That's outstanding! A bit too much sky for my taste but perfectly renders my memories of Badwater.

The first time I went, not knowing what to expect, I thought there was a town named Badwater. Got there and all I found was - bad water. Duh!

the town is actually named Badwater, California :D

Being a kid at heart, I couldn't resist and actually tasted the salt crystals from the salt flats. They tasted salty....:p

Bret Edge
02-19-2008, 02:21 PM
That is some sky, Michael! Really a nice composition, too.

Robert Amoruso
02-19-2008, 02:54 PM
Michael,

You guys beat me to it, an essay that we can post would be good. I have done what you are doing and had some excellent results. But you mentioned that you converted the RAW in Photomatix. I know it can do it, but did you do that actual conversion in RAW?

Excellent image. I would have not clipped the bush on the right - include it, as well as cloning out the one onthe left just protruding into the image.

Michael Pancier
02-19-2008, 03:57 PM
Yes, Photomatix will load the actual raw file and will convert it to a 16 bit tif after you tonemap the image.

Michael,

You guys beat me to it, an essay that we can post would be good. I have done what you are doing and had some excellent results. But you mentioned that you converted the RAW in Photomatix. I know it can do it, but did you do that actual conversion in RAW?

Excellent image. I would have not clipped the bush on the right - include it, as well as cloning out the one onthe left just protruding into the image.

Mike Moats
02-19-2008, 06:20 PM
Hey Michael, this has such great depth to it. Congrats on this excellent image.

Phil Colla
02-19-2008, 06:35 PM
This is a great idea, using Photomatix to handle the single frame from RAW, one that I will have to try to see what options it offers. Well done!

Arthur Morris
02-19-2008, 08:49 PM
Screamin' good. Try it with a crop from the top so the horizon line is in the thirds position... later and love, artie

Michael Pancier
02-19-2008, 10:22 PM
here's with the crop suggestions and the cloning out the bush on the right.

how's this?

Michael Pancier
02-19-2008, 10:23 PM
here is the raw file with no editing or processing out of lightroom

Arthur Morris
02-20-2008, 03:12 AM
Hi Mike, The cropped repost is better but what I had in mind is below. With the horizon pretty much on the thirds line below I think that the image is much more powerful. The rules (or guidelines if you will) of composition are made to be broken but there are good reasons as to why they came to be.

Later and love, artie

ps: Any chance of letting us know exactly how you do the HDR conversions in Photomatix?

Michael Pancier
02-20-2008, 03:40 AM
Hi Mike, The cropped repost is better but what I had in mind is below. With the horizon pretty much on the thirds line below I think that the image is much more powerful. The rules (or guidelines if you will) of composition are made to be broken but there are good reasons as to why they came to be.

Later and love, artie

ps: Any chance of letting us know exactly how you do the HDR conversions in Photomatix?

I wrote a simple article with images and sent it to al and fabs for review. so hopefully we can post it here.

Arthur Morris
02-20-2008, 04:13 AM
Thanks Michael. Are you up late or up early? Later and love, artie