PDA

View Full Version : Grand Canyon

Sarah Jessup
01-06-2010, 12:13 PM
This photo made in November at the Ledges camp on the Colorado River. Nikon D700, ISO 1000, 17-35mm lens @ 30mm, f 11, 1/30.

Kaustubh Deshpande
01-06-2010, 12:34 PM
Nice one. Its always good to see the GC from inside. liked the water drip a lot. Congrats.

Dave Mills
01-06-2010, 01:07 PM
Hi Sarah, Good basic comp of an interesting view. I like your placement of the grass clump in the foreground along with the embankment line pointing you towards the backround. I thought the backround rock formation was somewhat light and I darkened it. You can do that by burning it in(using the burn tool) or I took a nik graduated filter and darkened it that way.
I felt the sheen of water in the middle ground was a bit bright so I burned that also. You can still see the glare but now with more detail. A polariser probably would have taken most of that out.
Finally, I cropped a sliver off the top feeling I could eliminate the small white band.

Sarah Jessup
01-06-2010, 01:47 PM
Dave,
Thanks for your input. I had gone back and forth about the sky and the background rock. That helps.

Roman Kurywczak
01-07-2010, 04:21 PM
Hi Sarah,
I think Dave's repost helped bring some things into balance, but I am not sure the FG grasses add enough to the image for my tastes. You don't mention a polariser.....I mention this as the glare on the water is grabbing my eye and detracting from the wonderful colors. Even in overcast conditions with water present.....it is usually a good idea to use a polariser to eliminate glare. You say ISO 1000 also....typo or that is what you used?

Ed Cordes
01-07-2010, 10:19 PM
Repost is much better for the reasons already mentioned. I use a polarizer whenever around water. As Roman mentioned, it would have reduced the glare off the rocks a lot. To me the grass in the lower area is nice and adds depth.

Stu Bowie
01-08-2010, 12:33 AM
Good DOF to show the layers, and I like the perspective. Dave's repost works well.

Sarah Jessup
01-08-2010, 10:38 AM
Roman,
The ISO was in fact 1000, so this must've been done without a tripod. I can't actually remember whether I used a polarizer, as I had used it for many of my canyon photos. The logistics of photography on a river trip got out of hand at times.

Robert Amoruso
01-08-2010, 11:30 AM
Hello Sarah,

I agree with Roman, though the idea of using a strong FG element is good, the grasses are not enough IMO.

An option here, if possible was to move left and make the river a strong leading line into the image.