http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p193/kjchilds/BPN/IMG_1450.jpg
Canon EOS REBEL XT
Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS @ 275mm
Tv Priority mode
1/4000"
F5.6
ISO: 400
Photoshop CS3

This was taken a few minutes after the shot in my last picture post. I'm getting these by finding and observing actively feeding butterflies, focusing on one when it's feeding and them move the view slightly towards the direction I think it will fly. As soon as I detect movement, I take the shot. A better camera than what I have should be able to get off a burst, increasing the chances of getting one in focus.

I like shooting flying Sulphurs because they move around a lot, are light colored and this is the only way of shooting them with their wings open because they always perch with their wings closed. The best time in my area to try this is in fall, when the various Asters are blooming.

Allen Sparks
01-06-2010, 10:18 AM
another amazing shot and thanks for sharing your technique...will have to try it out this summer. I'm surprised the focus will hold up so well from its perch to flight. I like the white flowers in this shot also which gives the photo a sense of place.

Julie Kenward
01-06-2010, 01:36 PM
Ken, have you tried stopping down your aperture and opening up your ISO more? I would think that f8 or f11 would possibly give you both sets of wings in focus and you could do that and maintain your ss if you pushed that ISO to 800.

Still, I look at this and am thoroughly amazed. These little BF's don't hold still for long so you really are on the right track for getting some incredible images of them.

I might lighten up the darker areas of the BG a bit more but I do like the contrast between it and the yellow wings.

Ken Childs
01-06-2010, 02:54 PM
Ken, have you tried stopping down your aperture and opening up your ISO more? I would think that f8 or f11 would possibly give you both sets of wings in focus and you could do that and maintain your ss if you pushed that ISO to 800.
The Rebel XT is incredibly noisy at ISO 800 and with large crops like these, you aren't left with much to work with. The T1i I got for Christmas supposedly does a better job so hopefully this summer I'll get some with a better DOF.

Charles Wesley
01-07-2010, 07:28 AM
Ken,

I like this view of our flying flower like friends. I think NR software may help you're camera at 800 ISO.
I use NeatImage myself. Lost NI in a PC crash a year ago and am still using the trial version. It only gives me a jpg.
Jpg's work great for web postings.

Still upset NI wants the full price even though I have my original receipt and want to only pay for an upgrade.There many other noise reducers. Most have a free trial version. I like your results withe 100- 400 IS. Love my "Dust Pump".

BF shot at f/11.0 would be very interesting...

Ken Childs
01-07-2010, 08:18 AM
Charlie,

I use NI and although it is a fantastic NR plugin and helps tremendously, these shots are such big crops that they really lose too much at ISO 800 on a Rebel XT/350D.

It sucks that NI won't give you a deal on a replacement.

Charles Wesley
01-07-2010, 09:18 AM
Ken,

Understand now about your crops. Hopefully the new camera will help or some fill flash technique.
I want to try some BF in flight shots now.

Thanks for sharing....

Vida van der Walt
01-07-2010, 09:53 AM
Another super in flight image Ken. The IQ is also great for an image with a large crop. Lovely colours and ditto on the f11 when you use your new camera.:)

Anita Bower
01-10-2010, 06:32 AM
I like the composition here, with the butterfly flying towards the flower. Lovely detail. Your description of how you take these photos confirms my belief that butterfly photography requires patience and quick reflexes. :)