PDA

View Full Version : Sanur Sunrise

Edy Subiyanto
01-06-2010, 06:41 AM
Hello Friends

this image was taken in Sanur, Bali. It was in the morning, sunrise.
my main interest is to show the reflection and dramatic sky in the morning..

Here is the detail
Canon 7d
canon 10-22mm
f-stop : f/9
exposure 1/10
focal length 10 mm
ISO 100

any critiques and advise are welcome..

Peter Farrell
01-06-2010, 08:38 AM
Very dramatic sky and a great reflection. I am really drawn into this image. I like the boat as well as it adds scale to the image. The vegetation (?) in the foreground detracts from the impact of the reflection. For this reason I would have been tempted to crop some from the bottom.
TFS, Peter

David Stephens
01-06-2010, 09:04 AM
Edy, this is wonderful. I love the low clouds, the reflection and the boat to the right. The vegatation near your feet doesn't bother me at all, perhaps because I grew up on the water. I'm not sure how you'd crop that out without losing an important part of the reflection.

Did you use a tripod or set the camera on something solid? Given your 1/10-sec SS, I'm thinking that you did an excellent job holding the camera steady. For this type of image, your low SS and low ISO were critical to getting the best possible image. This will blow up nicely to any size you'd like to print.

Dave

Dave Mills
01-06-2010, 09:56 AM
Hi Edy, I like the basic comp along with the dramatic clouds. I did 2 things to the image. I very lightly dodged the boat to bring it up a bit so you could make out the detail a little better. Applied a very light shadows/highlight adj to give the sky and water a bit more pop and lighten the bottom(not much) Was fooling around with that and noticed I liked it after It was applied...

Edy Subiyanto
01-06-2010, 10:34 AM
Peter, I wish I could remove the vegetations. If I crop the bottom then I will lose the reflection.

David Stephens, I used a tripod (my old tripod, excell). I am also not sure how to remove the vegetations..

DMills, how did you do that? did you divide it into to part (bottom and sky)?
what is your opinion about taking sunrise or sunset landscape, do we need to get detail in the foreground or make it dark?

thanks
Edy

Dave Mills
01-06-2010, 12:45 PM
Hi Edy, Very often it's a positive seeing detail in the foreground. In most images(not all) it's helpful not to have too much negative space. Since this image was showing detail in the FG I thought I would enhance what was already there. There is no definitive answer regarding your question...
For the boat...I blew up the image and used the dodge tool to lightly lighten it.
I used Shadows and highlights on the whole image. LIGHTLY applied. Played with the amounts to get what I wanted.

Per-Gunnar Ostby
01-07-2010, 01:43 PM
Very nice. I like the dramatic effect of the grey clouds and that bit of yellow in the sky. And the boat clearly adds that extra bit

Roman Kurywczak
01-07-2010, 04:14 PM
Hi Edy,
I personally prefer some detail in the FG. I think Dave's repost is a big improvement to a pleasing comp but i will recommend that if want to pursue landscapes, using a split ND filter to get the results Dave got in the repost is critical.....the closer you get it in the camera.....the easier and more dramatic the PP'ing will be!

Edy Subiyanto
01-07-2010, 08:33 PM
Roman - thanks for your advice, I don't have nd filter for sunrise or sunset, I only have hitech gnd filter.

Stu Bowie
01-08-2010, 12:31 AM
Lovely calm water showing up the reflection nicely. I feel if you cropped off the bottom, half way between the bottom of the frame and the boat, you would still have plenty of the reflection left. In that way, you would lose some of the distractions in the water.

Robert Amoruso
01-08-2010, 10:35 AM
Edy,

Stuart suggest just what I was going to recommend.

David Stephens
01-08-2010, 02:09 PM
Roman - thanks for your advice, I don't have nd filter for sunrise or sunset, I only have hitech gnd filter.

I think that Roman meant GND, as you have. Did you use it? I'm not so sure that you need it for this image, since nothing is looking blown out and the GND might have made the sky too dark. Of course, bits are close to free, so consider trying with and without in the future. Whenever the sky is bright, the reflection is likely to be 2-stops less in light. You GND will help balance that. I'm not cetain that this image has that much difference and looks good to my eyes.

Dave