PDA

View Full Version : RWBB juvi - Bosque

Kerry Perkins
01-06-2010, 12:51 AM
From "the boardwalk"... These birds soak up light like a black hole! I tried and tried but could not get any more detail in the blacks without blowing out the highlights. Quite a challenge and the direct sun didn't help, but I still like the image. What say ye?

50D, EF400mm f/5.6L
Manual mode, f/5.6@1/800 ISO 400 WB 5100K
AI Servo autofocus, hand-held no flash

Lance Peters
01-06-2010, 02:30 AM
Hi Kerry - :) Black birds have a tendency to do that - soak up light that is.
Like the BG and the Good ha with eye contact - as you know no detail in some of those blacks - some flash might have helped though flash and black birds dont mix real well in my experiences.
If I was to be real picky (As if it were mine) id wish for just a bit of separation between the tail and the perch.
Like it a lot!! Good show :)

Gus Cobos
01-06-2010, 05:41 AM
Hi Kerry,
Fill flash noted for the blacks...I like your composition, image and capture. I like the diagonal perch. You have a good head angle with a sharp eye, the background compliments your little guy quite well...keep them coming Sir...:cool:

david cramer
01-06-2010, 09:30 AM
A lovely composition with great bg. Agree with you about the blacks. If you are open to it, you might shorten the perch, as the bright top is a bit distracting.

Jeff Cashdollar
01-06-2010, 10:10 AM
Kerry, looking good (techs are solid as always), as you know flash and black glossy-looking birds can create challenges. I like it, might move it back to the left but that all about feel - well done.

Cheryl Flory
01-06-2010, 12:41 PM
so is there a way to get good detail in a glossy black bird??? :)

Jeff Cashdollar
01-06-2010, 02:34 PM
Great question, one of the moderators will jump in.

I will give Al a PM.

Kerry Perkins
01-06-2010, 08:46 PM
There is definitely a way - good light! I will post an example tonight, after my 1440 minutes are up. ;)

Jeff Cashdollar
01-06-2010, 09:16 PM
Just talked to Al he is in Wyoming and it is cold. Interesting to note, it is 28 degrees in Nashville as well - COLD!

Alfred Forns
01-06-2010, 09:58 PM
... from Wyoming and getting ready for tomorrow.. should be twenty below :)

The best I've done with shiny black birds is to have perfect light hitting the bird and making lots of exposures. Some of the black birds like grackles have beautiful coloration if the light hits them the right way !!

.. Kerry for detail throughout the black you need to have low contrast in order not to blow highlights .. btw in these do lower the saturation of the reds since they tend to get blown and most digital cameras will over saturate !!

Jeff Cashdollar
01-06-2010, 11:20 PM
Thanks Al, bundle up.

Kerry Perkins
01-07-2010, 01:44 AM
Thank you Al. I took dozens of shots of these and didn't get what I was looking for. Will have to re-visit. Meanwhile, check my next post. ;)