PDA

View Full Version : Burrowing Owl

Steve Canuel
01-06-2010, 12:41 AM
From last July and a little different surroundings than usually seen here. Wind was blowing as thunderstorms were passing through this early evening. BG is pretty busy but I liked the habitat it showed, especially the cactus directly behind the owl. 40D, 400DO + 1.4xTC, f6.3, 1/160s, ISO 800, + 1/3 EC, handheld from car, cropped all around, a few spots removed from BG.

RAM MALLYA
01-06-2010, 02:51 AM
Nice composition and focus on the bird.

Stu Bowie
01-06-2010, 04:10 AM
Hi Steve, I like the balanced comp, and the BG doesnt distract, as it is nicely OOF. Good direct eye contact from the owl, sharp, and he pops nicely. Well captured.

Krijn Trimbos
01-06-2010, 05:50 AM
I really like the natural setting here which makes this one for me. I like the pose, and exposure. Great shot Steve!

Axel Hildebrandt
01-06-2010, 07:36 AM
I like the inclusion of the owl's habitat, soft light, eye contact and sharpness.

Grace Scalzo
01-06-2010, 07:43 AM
Love the habitat, Steve. To my eye, it looks just a bit contrasty and maybe slightly too saturated, but I wasn't there so could be wrong with my assessment.

Peter Farrell
01-06-2010, 08:56 AM
Very nice habitat shot. Great eye contact. I agree that the owl really pos out. I was also thinking it was a liitle contrasty. (But I can never see that in my own images??)
Peter

Myer Bornstein
01-06-2010, 08:57 AM
Great composition the owls stands out and the BG helps with locale

david cramer
01-06-2010, 09:24 AM
Lovely setting, Steve, and nice composition. I'm with Grace in that something is a bit too intense on the bird, as it looks as though it could have been digitally planted in the scene. Perhaps too much contrast on the bird, or too light, compared to the rest of the scene? Just another way of saying the bird really pops out, but perhaps too much.

Callie de Wet
01-06-2010, 01:10 PM
Loving owls, one can just like this one too!. The overall impact is affective, as it captures and hold the interest. The tuff of grass on the left compliments the bird on the right and brings about a nice balance feeling to the image.

Phil Ertel
01-06-2010, 01:48 PM
Hi Steve, I like the composition. The inclusion of the habitat is pleasing to me. It helps provide a sense of place and scale to the bird. I like that you kept the bird reasonably small and its place in frame. I find the it nice an sharp where it counts. Thanks for sharing.

Arthur Morris
01-06-2010, 04:34 PM
This environmental portrait is different and I love it. The cacti are great. A version with even a bit more on the bottom might have also worked well.

Steve Canuel
01-06-2010, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone. Looking at it a couple of different times today, it does seem a bit too contrasty, even with my preference for contrast and colors (must've been my late night processing interpretation). One thing I think may be contributing to the "pasted in" look is the fact that he was on a little ridge and the BG cacti are actually on the opposite, rising side of a little gully. My PP plays a part as well to be sure.

Juan Carlos Vindas
01-06-2010, 09:21 PM
Stunning bird and composition. The environment also adds to this one. My only wish would be to see this larger.

Steve Canuel
01-06-2010, 10:50 PM
Thanks for the comments Juan.

Per suggestions above, here's a repost with some reduction in contrast and color adjustments (reduced sat/darkened).

Arthur Morris
01-07-2010, 06:37 AM
HI Steve, The repost is better. But after a second look, I have a question to ask: I should have suggested that you move a half yard or so to your left; why? (There are actually three parts to the answer!)

Krijn Trimbos
01-07-2010, 07:30 AM
I'll give it a go.

1. To get rid of the cactus in the BG intersecting with the head,
2. to get rid of the thorny bush obscuring part of the left leg and
3. to get rid of the cactus obscuring part of the tail.

Although the light isn't too harsh wouldn't the light angle be more of a problem by moving to the left??

Steve Canuel
01-07-2010, 08:57 AM
Thanks Arthur. Krijn stole my answers! :D Moving left a bit looks like it would've given me a cleaner angle between the two spikey cactuses (cacti?) and put him on the cleaner BG over his left shoulder.