Mode: Program
Metering: Multi-segment
Exp comp: -1/3
ISO: 200
AF mode: AF-C

Alfred Forns
01-05-2010, 09:33 PM
Hi Myer

Lovely image, I like the habitat inclusion and pose, would rather have the animal more to the left side of the frame. Would also try lightening the head area, you did well with the exposure since the steam could not take any more !! .. we don't generally use ND filters for wildlife but this is a good case for one !!!

Tech wise would like to see you raise your ISO for better shutter speed, your D300 performs well and would not hesitate to go to 640 !!

Morkel Erasmus
01-06-2010, 01:21 AM
lovely setting and agree with Al here on the ISO. wish there was more detail on the elk.

Myer Bornstein
01-06-2010, 06:41 AM
Here is more of the story, We just arrived at the OLd Faithful inn at sunset and here was the ELK in the field, grabbed my camera and needed to move fast to get in a position to get extraneous items out of the view and forgot to raise my ISO. As I am just learning PS I am still trying to figure out how to lighten small areas without affect the whole picture. I agree need more detail in the elks head and I tried but could not fiqure out how to perform the task

Alfred Forns
01-06-2010, 08:00 AM
Hi Myer

The are several ways to select a part of an image, different images will require different selection methods. Can try selecting by color or masking the area. Would suggest getting Robert O'toole's CD, lots of great info and easy to follow !! Might also post some in ETL and will get to extra feedback, great crowd over there !!!

Was just at Old Faithful a couple of days ago ... would not recognize the area :)

Callie de Wet
01-06-2010, 01:51 PM
A nice image, and yes, one tends to forget in the heat of the moment to change the ISO and the exposure. Magic wand to select part of elk, Cntl C, Cntl V; you get a new layer, change blending options to screen on new layer and fade and/or erase as required, collapse layers when done.

David Fletcher
01-06-2010, 03:23 PM
Fabulous view. Suggestions already made. Ordinarily, your D300 copes well with the metering, but the dynamic range means on this occasion it hasn't so well, hence the suggestions to selectively work on the differing elements. Not an issue with the camera. (the time of day, brightness range etc are the drivers). Al & Callie got some good tips. Also consider buying Ellen Anon & Josh Anon photoshop for Nature Photographers CS4. Many , many answers available. Also look at Arties APTATS if he still does them. Best. Dave

Todd Frost
01-06-2010, 11:47 PM
Nice habitat image, I like the position of the elk in frame as he is looking slightly back. Agree with selective lightening.
Todd

Sabyasachi Patra
01-08-2010, 02:07 AM
Nice image. I agree with Alfred's suggestion. A higher ISO and narrow aperture would have been good.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi