PDA

View Full Version : Mandarin Duck

Christof Ruch
01-02-2008, 05:57 PM
Hi all,

first some congratulations to the team for putting this website together, very well done, and an awesome audience from the photos I've seen here tonight!

About my photo: I have started photographing birds about a year ago, and only last weekend I finally had the feeling that things were coming together: I had the sun in my back, had thought of putting the tripod very low (using an angle view finder), and even managed to get at least one kind-of-sharp image from the dynamic autofocus system :).

I liked the water color from the reflection of the vegetation behind the little pond, because it matches the duck's own colors. I have also a version with a different head angle, but this one does really emphasize the duck's magnificent whiskers.

Technical info:
Nikon D70 with Tokina 300 mm / f4
1/160 s
F/8
ISO 200
Exposure: Manual (trial + error histogram correction, started setting F/8)
AF Mode: AF-C (servo), center sensor only
Tripod (low position) + angle view finder
uncropped
RAW development with Nikon Capture 4, slight exposure correction

Any feedback welcome, I'm learning!
Christof

Gyorgy Szimuly
01-02-2008, 06:20 PM
Beautiful water texture and colors. Love the expo control here.
Maybe a slightly lower perspective would improve more towards the duck.
Szimi

Alfred Forns
01-02-2008, 07:05 PM
That water is to kill for !!!!! Exposure is right on You kept detail in the white breast Its just a mater of taste but I like the duck a little more sideways Seems to show the plumage even more Do like it as presented Looking forward to many more !!!! Congrats !!!!

Linda Robbins
01-02-2008, 07:19 PM
The water color and reflections are lovely. I like your framing with the duck on the right of the frame with plenty of room on the left. I would like to see the other head angle image. While this head angle does show off the wonderful whiskers, I wish I could see either more of the left eye or have a head turn eliminating the tiny bit of the left eye in this image. Good exposure, sharp, and a truly beautiful subject. Well done post processing as well. Your technical information and explanation make it clear that you are thinking your shots through, checking exposures and making corrections as needed, so I am not surprised that you are now getting good results like this image. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your images in this forum.

Jody Melanson
01-02-2008, 07:40 PM
Wow, Christof, love the water in this. So rich looking. I wish the image had a lower angle and a bit more light on the left side of his head.

Welcome to BPN! Looking forward to more from you.

DanWalters
01-02-2008, 07:58 PM
Nice image. Like the light and the colors.

George DeCamp
01-02-2008, 08:00 PM
Hey Christof!

This is a keeper! If anything like mentioned a lower angle if possible. The water is sweet!!!

Christof Ruch
01-03-2008, 06:15 PM
Many thanks for the nice words and encouraging suggestions, you make me want to continue :)!

For Linda, here is the other version with the head / eye in a different or better angle (now even getting the catchlight in the left eye). Technique the same, the images are about one second apart (manual release).