PDA

View Full Version : Roberts River in the Everglades

Connie Mier
01-05-2010, 10:51 AM
This was taken early morning while paddling during a recent trip through the Everglades. The mangroves along the rivers in this area are monotonous and challenging to make photogenic. But, this particular photo grabbed my attention. I'm wondering how it appeals to others, especially those that do not recognize the Everglades.

Sony a100, 18-70mm lens
f10, 1/1000, ISO400, I believe I set it at -2/3 stop with evaluative and manual metering
Post processing, added warming filter in PS, some work with levels to lighten the right side.

Thanks for looking
Connie

Dave Mills
01-05-2010, 11:44 AM
Hi Connie, Beautiful light along with nice silouettes. I didn't care for large black band near the center and looked to either minimalise the band or take out the bottom completely. I did it very quickly so forgive any noticeable mistakes. Just wanted to show you two other options....

Connie Mier
01-05-2010, 12:54 PM
Dave, thanks for taking the time to do that. I also did not like the big black band, but didn't think about removing the mid part. Can you, quickly tell me how you did that? I am somewhat familiar with PS4 and understand how to use the canvas for adding sky for instance. But I am not sure about removing a mid part and then rejoining the two ends. Thanks again!
Connie

denise ippolito
01-05-2010, 12:59 PM
Connie, Beautiful lighting. I love Dave's first repost! Very interesting image.:)

Dave Mills
01-05-2010, 05:39 PM
Hi Connie, I'm no PS guru either but what I did was select the area roughly shown(pretend the white line is around the sides and bottom also) I then used the move tool and moved the selection in the arrow direction. Overlapping and getting a narrower band. Watch the lighting since it's different in areas of the band. If someone knows an easier or more effective way please let us know...

Peter Farrell
01-05-2010, 06:49 PM
I really like the lighting in this image. It works well with the shilouetted mangroves.
I also like daves first re-post.
Peter

Stu Bowie
01-06-2010, 12:25 AM
Connie, I like the setting, and like Dave's second repost.

Roman Kurywczak
01-07-2010, 04:04 PM
Hi Connie,
Nice job by Dave on the re-posts! I like the 2nd w/o the reflection......why?......less of a mirror image......and I like the simplicity of the silhouette.

Robert Amoruso
01-08-2010, 10:32 AM
Connie,

Great suggestions above. I like both of Dave's reposts and his trick with the BG movement is one I use. But in the end I agree with Roman, like the pano w/o reflection the best.

Myer Bornstein
01-08-2010, 11:07 AM
I like the second picture better in this case. I do like reflections expecially when there is more color involved