PDA

View Full Version : Don Zeck Lens Hood

Danny J Brown
01-04-2010, 09:59 PM
I just received my Don Zeck Lens Cap for my Canon 500/4 from Adorama and I must say that my initial thoughts are....wow...this thing is amazing!! I couldn't believe how thick it is and how it fits on the lens like it was machined at Canon. Starting right now I will be retiring my Mercedes Leather (Vinyl?) hoodie with its goofy cord that manages to catch everything from tripods to Lens Trekkers. I'm just wondering if this thing is too good to be true, especially considering the reasonable price. I'm sure somebody will tell me if that is so.:)

P.S. If the hood sock has always worked fine for you, that just means you are not nearly as clumsy as I am!

David Billingsley
01-04-2010, 11:50 PM
Got one last week for my 500 F4. Love it - very convenient.

Craig Markham
01-05-2010, 05:15 PM
The minute I laid eyes on that Canon lederhosen cap for the 500mm, I launched a search for a practical alternative. I found the Don Zeck cap at Naturescapes Store and never looked back. I've been using it for 2 years, and it's done a great job protecting my 500. So far, I've managed not to drop it overboard while photographing from my kayak!

I'm not even sure where that Canon "cap" is any more -- maybe I stashed it in the half-ton trunk that came with the lens -- now parked in the basement somewhere. I only had to lug that into the field once to know I never wanted to see it again. I also made a collapsible neoprene lens hood to save weight/space in my pack for travel. It's also cheap and easy to replace! If you're interested in learning more about that, check my BPN post on the subject:

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6283

Congratulations on a good choice!

-- Craig

Chris Brennan
01-05-2010, 05:24 PM
I've used Don Zeck lens caps for a number of years, mostly purchasing them directly from him. Although I know that the Naturescapes store has had them for a while, I'm glad that some of the larger retailers like Adorama stock them now. And if you ever have any suggestions about improving a design, you should always feel free to email Don directly. He's really a great guy...

Pedro Serralheiro
01-05-2010, 05:56 PM
Just received mines for nikons 300 and 500.
Great and usefull products.

Just a minus con, lens can't be upright with it.

Danny J Brown
01-05-2010, 06:35 PM
Just received mines for nikons 300 and 500.
Great and usefull products.

Just a minus con, lens can't be upright with it.

Hey Pedro: Fortunately the cap works with the hood attached as well and that is generally when I want to sit my lens down upright. Also, it can be stored upright in the Lowepro Lens Trekker Pack with the hood reversed because you don't have to worry about the lens falling over - the handle just flattens out a bit. Don Z. says the handle is indestructible and will replace it free if anybody can figure out a way to tear it up. Thanks for you comments and thanks to the rest of the DZ LC fans!!!!:)

Don Hamilton Jr.
01-05-2010, 08:37 PM
Guys, while on the 500mm F4 subject, my nut/knob on the device that holds my hood on is lose, how does one tight it, it has play, i'm suspect of it continuing and falling of. Is there some required procedures here. Seem s to have slop or play in it.
THks Don

Danny J Brown
01-05-2010, 09:37 PM
Hey Don: I think there is a pin that goes through the knob to fasten it to the threaded rod that tightens the knob down. As long as that pin is in place the knob should stay on, I believe. The knob on mine has always felt a bit sloppy but tightens down nicely and I'm always careful not to get it too tight as that just pushes the hood out away from the lens. Might be a good email question for a Canon tech if you don't get any help here. Good luck.

David Billingsley
01-06-2010, 12:46 AM
I think they are all sort of loosey goosey - mine is. I agree with Danny, treat it some degree of care and don't over tighten. Seems like there was a recent thread about replacement parts should one break.

Jamie Strickland
01-06-2010, 07:44 AM
agreed they dont seem to be a very good design, I wish the hoods were like the one on the sigma 500 where the whole hood screws on very securely and the knob is way smaller / secured

Don Lacy
01-06-2010, 11:46 AM
Guys, while on the 500mm F4 subject, my nut/knob on the device that holds my hood on is lose, how does one tight it, it has play, i'm suspect of it continuing and falling of. Is there some required procedures here. Seem s to have slop or play in it.
THks Don
I had the same issue with mine and it finally fell off some were in the field and I had to replace it which I did not think would be to much of a issue until I saw the bill for the part alone was 100.00:eek: