PDA

View Full Version : Great Blue Heron from Anhinga Trail

Richard Waas
01-04-2010, 03:35 PM
This GBH was photographed on tripod with my Canon 5D MK II just before sunrise at first light. I wish I could have gotten either higher or lower to keep the horizon from cutting thru the body, but a nice looking bird still the same. Any suggestions on how I could deal with the background. I darkened it a little. ISO 800, f/4.0, 1/200 sec, EF500mm f/4.0L IS USM, Evaluative Metering, Auto Exposure, Auto WB, No Flash. Comments Welcome.

Kerry Perkins
01-04-2010, 06:46 PM
Lovely GBH capture Richard! Very nice pose, colors and comp and the exposure looks good to me. I can't really think of a good solution for the bg. I think anything you would do might just make it more obvious, but maybe others will have a thought along those lines. I might be tempted to clean up some of the sticks behind the legs. Very nice!

Jeff Cashdollar
01-04-2010, 06:56 PM
Richard, looks alright, challenging habitat,... unless you want to reengineer the image with a new BG,.. it is what it is.

Unique pose, watch that next step for sure :)

Gus Cobos
01-04-2010, 07:21 PM
Mr. Waas,
We missed you at Shark Valley...but I see that your trip to Anhinga Trail paid off big time. I like the image as is...no more, no less...:eek::D I like the mood and feel of the early breaking light...you captured the moment quite well. You have good color rendition, good sharp feather details, a good head angle and sharp eye...love the natural habitat...a big congrats my friend...looking forward to your next one...:cool:

Gail Spitler
01-04-2010, 07:22 PM
Love the light :D :D :D
Great sharpness. I find the whole image very dramatic.
Well done

Cheers
Gail

Lance Peters
01-05-2010, 05:55 AM
Hi Richard - techs all covered - like it a lot richard - even with the BG.
Good show :)

Katie Rupp
01-05-2010, 01:12 PM
I'll echo Gail: Love the Light!!!!

Oscar Zangroniz
01-05-2010, 09:46 PM
Great pose you were able to capture. Lots of details on your bird and I specially like the early morning light.
Congrats