PDA

View Full Version : Sweet 16

Callie de Wet
01-04-2010, 03:19 PM
http://www.pbase.com/calliedewet/image/74397742.jpg

Hi All, My name is Callie, and I'm new to this website. Still trying to feel my way around. Feel free to critique, I appreciate any comment that will help me improve.

One of two sisters, about 16 months old, Sabi Sands

1/200s f/8.0 at 400.0mm
<table align="center" border="1" cellpadding="1" width="450"><tbody> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">Date/Time</td><td class="lid">09-Aug-2005 08:27:24</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">Model</td><td class="lid">NIKON D70</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">Flash Used</td><td class="lid">No</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">Focal Length</td><td class="lid">400 mm</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">Exposure Time</td><td class="lid">1/200 sec</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">Aperture</td><td class="lid">f/8</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">Metering Mode</td><td class="lid">matrix (5)</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">Exposure Program</td><td class="lid">aperture priority (3)</td></tr></tbody></table>http://www.pbase.com/calliedewet/image/74397742

Suzanne Huot
01-04-2010, 06:28 PM
You certainly captured the potential beauty of this young leopard,Background colour compliments the subject well too, However I think by cloning out or toning down the darker brown spots in the background you could make the subject pop out even more,Beautiful capture

Danny J Brown
01-04-2010, 09:08 PM
Hi Callie - Beautiful portrait of this critter including a wonderful head turn toward you but not at you. I would love to see this image with a little less contrast. Over-contrast is especially noticeable around the black streaks that go to the whiskers. I can't wait to see more of your images if this is an indication of the captures in your portfolio. Welcome to BPN!

Callie de Wet
01-04-2010, 10:38 PM
Thanks Suzanne, Danny, much appreciated.

Marc Mol
01-04-2010, 11:31 PM
Hi and welcome Callie.
Lovely comp & BG with this pleasing Leopard portrait, looks like it could do with a round of USM on my cal monitor.
TFS

Steve Kaluski
01-05-2010, 03:03 AM
Hi Callie and welcome.

The overall colour does look as if it has a tad too much yellow, or at least, a yellow cast within it (although I am viewing it on a laptop at present). Can i ask if it has this been ibeen cropped at all? The reason I ask is that it does look a tad soft, as the definition of detail isn't quite there IMHO, especially looking at the eye & mouth, I feel there might have been a little camera shake here?. I think also you could have use something like f/5.6 to help the shutter speed & give you an even more diffused background.;)

If you get an opportunity like this again, put the focus point on the eye, that is you MAIN focus point for the viewer, everything else will be fine:) It is still a good comp.

Keep them coming.:)

Steve

Alfred Forns
01-05-2010, 07:36 PM
Hi Callie Big Welcome and great first post !!!

Agree with comments !! Did not see the ISO but that shutter speed is sort of dangerous particularly, opening up one as suggested by Steve would have been helpful, might also have helped with the bg !! Sweet image !!!

Sabyasachi Patra
01-06-2010, 12:44 AM
Hi Callie,
Welcome to BPN!

I agree with Steve. Some more sharpness would have been good. Since the subject is parallel, it would have been easier to get the required dof with f5.6. However, you should check the depth of field preview button to know the desired depth of field. I have no idea about the ISO used. You can always raise the ISO if the shutter speed is not high enough.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

David Fletcher
01-06-2010, 03:47 PM
Welcome to BPN Callie. Fab shot and some good tips to enhance. Sabi Sands is such a killer place for Leopards i sincerely hope you'll share more. Constructively, the oof branches don't bother me. Looks a tiny bit over saturated hence the comments about the yellows. a tiny bit more selective sharpening may remove issues commented on focus point as I feel it is there. Well done. Thanks for sharing. Dave

Callie de Wet
01-09-2010, 02:33 PM
Hi all Thanks for the welcome and comments. Yes, this is not the sharpest pencil in the tray, Taking pictures of leopards with 6 other photographers on the same vehicle is not always conductive for dead rest. There is always movement I my ISO was way too slow. We are going back in June, DV, and will try again. Meanwhile the TR leopard has given me a lot of practice with higher ISO. Now I just have to improve my PP skills - I never use noise reduction nor sharpening, only sharpen edges on the web image. Have to learn these tricks still.
David Fletcher
Yep, Sabi Sands is the place for these beutiful felines and June will be the first time I will have the D300's with me.