PDA

View Full Version : Dreams of Daffodils

Julie Kenward
01-04-2010, 02:20 PM
They just told us we're getting MORE SNOW on Wednesday and Thursday. My poor pugs are already up to their little armpits in the stuff. I'm trying to be grateful by thinking, "At least it's not ice...at least it's not ice..."

I'm usually not such a pansy about such things but when it's too cold to be outside shooting for more than five minutes at a time then I get cranky! :eek:

So here is another from this past spring to try to cheer me up while my car sits at the repair shop because - yes, you guessed it - my heater went out this morning. :(

Canon 40D, EF 100mm f/2.8 macro
f 2.8 @ 1/250th, ISO 200 (I can't believe I took this at 2.8!)
Pattern metering, handheld, backlit, outdoors (cut plants in vase)
Processed in ACR & CS4; added a 50% soft light layer at the end to further infuse the image with sunshine.

Jerry van Dijk
01-04-2010, 02:58 PM
Hi Jules, gorgeous flowers. I had some fun in the snow, but images like this also make me long for spring! I'm using my time inside to process loads of images from the summer that have been sitting in my harddisk for much too long. Will post some more soon.
I like the tight crop and the OOF repetition of the subject in the BG. The color combination adds to the sunny feeling.

Allen Sparks
01-04-2010, 03:42 PM
I like the isolated focus on the flower which gives it the dreamy feel (I'm sure I would have shot this at f16 and ruined it! :)). Great BG...another wonderful artistic shot.

Cindy Mead
01-04-2010, 05:22 PM
what a nice cheery image Jules.. your shallow dof works well for me here and I really like your pov.. I'm not much of a 'winter person' myself, and spring can't come too soon :)

Julie Kenward
01-04-2010, 07:42 PM
Thanks everyone. Cindy, if you're living in Northern Michigan you are in for a much longer winter than I am! I don't know how you do it. My best friend lives in southwest MI and she longs for the spring to come when ours is almost over.

Mike Moats
01-04-2010, 08:07 PM
Hey Jules, I like winter for about two months and then had enough. We have been lucky so far in southeast Michigan as we have not had much snow like others have had. I don't mind going out shooting in the cold, just the lack of colors. At least this image gives us a nice taste of spring and reminds us of what we have to look forward to.

Vida van der Walt
01-05-2010, 05:22 AM
Lovely image Jules. I like the soft pastel colours and great use of dof.:)