PDA

View Full Version : Cape Agulhas

Stu Bowie
01-04-2010, 12:33 PM
A lot of people think that Cape Point ( an area south of Cape Town city ) is the southern most point of Africa. It is actually at Cape Agulhas, 200km up the eastern coast. This lighthouse is also famous in South African history. It was built in 1849, and is a national monument. It is also the second oldest lighthouse in the country. The day we visited here, the wind was gusting fairly hard. The area is also where two oceans meet. The Indian ocean along the east coast, and the atlantic on the west coast. I will share images later of the actual monument depicting such info.

Canon 20D
24-105 @ 85mm
1/1250
F/11
ISO 400

Exp Comp +0.33
Hand Held

Roman Kurywczak
01-04-2010, 04:03 PM
Hi Stuart,
I love lighthouses and this one is very iteresting and nice. I do find the light quite harsh though and that is the main detraction to the image. I like that you offset it but perhaps even a bit more to the left. As usual for landscapers.....clouds didn't cooperate either.....so in this case you did about as well as could be expected. I will have to visit this light one day!

Stu Bowie
01-05-2010, 12:49 AM
Thanks Roman. I agree regarding the harsh light. Unfortunately, when one is on holiday and day visiting towns, and places, one has only one opportunity - the time when you arrive there, knowing you wont be coming back.

Ramesh Adkoli
01-05-2010, 02:06 AM
This is picture perfect, Stuart. Excellent control over exposure under this strong light. You have held details in the shade of the nicely. This will look great in B&W too. I think such strong lights give great opportunities for making contrasty B&Ws. You might want to give it a try. TFS.

regards,
ramesh

Stu Bowie
01-05-2010, 02:35 AM
Ramesh, thanks for your suggestion. I will definately give it a go this evening.

Tony Whitehead
01-05-2010, 03:25 AM
I agree with Ramesh that this would be a good B&W candidate - could resist a quick play with Silver Efex Pro:).
happy memories of this place - we camped at Struisbaai after final year exams while waiting for results - 3 squashed in a Kombi, windsurfing, fishing - good times.

Morkel Erasmus
01-05-2010, 03:36 AM
nice scene Stu and this place has great potential to be exploited by people who live close by and are able to be there at the dramatic times of sunrise and sunset. I know Kobus Tollig and Liezel Kershoff have got some nice shots of this lighthouse.

the B&W has appeal, but in this case the lighthouse colours are what holds my attention. maybe a reverse s-curve to tone contrast and some selective colour adjustments (even a cooling filter) can help here?

Robert Amoruso
01-05-2010, 04:18 AM
Stuart,

I would suggest you try out some different crops. Vertical or placing the LH right in the frame. Make sure to retain the stone steps as they are a strong lead line to the LH.

Vida van der Walt
01-05-2010, 07:50 AM
Like the colour version best. Looks like you had a great holiday Stu. Lovely image.:)

Dave Mills
01-05-2010, 08:00 AM
Hi Stuart, I think both versions have their own appeal. I believe you did the best you could with the lighting you were faced with. I can see tightening the image on the left(keeping the stone steps as Robert suggested) helping the image...

Nick Palmieri
01-05-2010, 08:04 AM
Like both versions. I agree that a different crop may strengthen this.

Stu Bowie
01-06-2010, 12:21 AM
Thank you all so much for the great feedback and comments.

I unfortunately didnt get around to redoing a different crop, but hopefully tonight.

Kobus Tollig
01-08-2010, 03:48 AM
Nice on Stu well done. Also like the B&W. Cant believe you did not contact me SIES:eek::D

Stu Bowie
01-08-2010, 03:00 PM
Thanks so much Kobus.