PDA

View Full Version : Chickadee

joel quenneville
01-02-2008, 05:34 PM
This image was made in my backyard on a perch I set up near a feeder. There were several chickadees flying in and around my setup when this one landed and posed. These critters move extremely fast so I had to hurry to get the shot. The bird was frontlit by diffused sunlight coming through the clouds. I also added some fill flash.
This is my first year in wildlife photography. I am eager to learn and to improve my photography so don't hesitate to post comments.

Exif:
1/125 sec
f/8
ISO 400
Nikon D70s
Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 with 2x converter

Fabs Forns
01-02-2008, 05:46 PM
Bienvenue, Joel!!!!

Nicely composed. It looks a little soft, maybe due to the use of the 2X, I would run it through one more pass of sharpening, maybe just on the bird. Your focal length helped diffuse the steep angle and it works fine. Great control of whites.
Some people may find the light area on the left distracting.

Hope to be able to help in your quest for better photography :)
Read the comments on other images and try to give your feedback to others, you'd be surprised at how much you learn by giving your critique to others, even if you fell you're not qualified.

Axel Hildebrandt
01-02-2008, 05:49 PM
Welcome, Joel. Very nice setting and composition. You could try to tone down the whites a bit and as Fabs said sharpen it more.

D. Robert Franz
01-02-2008, 05:51 PM
Lovely bird and setting.. I'm with Axel and Fabs ont he sharpening...

Terry Eddington
01-02-2008, 05:59 PM
Joel, ditto on the remarks so far. I'm looking forward to making my backyard the neighborhood bird sanctuary and letting my subjects come to me as you've done. I like the fact you selected a perch that while trimmed, was not a plain bare branch. I suspect you are as excited as I am about this new forum and honest feedback to help us on our journey.

Jody Melanson
01-02-2008, 07:38 PM
Welcome to BPN, Joel! I like the pose and the perch. It looks like your focus was just in front of your Chickadee. The whites also look a tad hot.