http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p193/kjchilds/BPN/IMG_1431.jpg

Canon EOS REBEL XT
Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS @ 400mm
Tv mode
1/3200"
F5.6
ISO: 400
Photoshop CS3

This a significant crop, representing about 10% of the original image. When shooting flying butterflies, it's hard to get them anywhere near the center of frame or at least for me it is so there's always a lot of cropping to do. I tried lightening it up a bit more with S/H but didn't like the results. The eye was given a slight color and contrast boost.

Allen Sparks
01-04-2010, 12:09 PM
I'm amazed by any butterfly in flight shot and have quit trying to attempt these due to the difficulty. I like this shot alot due to the fairly sharp eye and the probiscus curled up in flying position. Also like seeing the legs and the wing blur. I believe the image suffers overall from the very large crop but overall I really like this one.

Jerry van Dijk
01-04-2010, 03:00 PM
Hi Ken, very cool shot! I haven't seen many of these. BG, light and comp are great, as well as the points mentioned by Allen. Might opt for some more DOF if speed allows it. Nice!

Ken Childs
01-04-2010, 05:01 PM
I'm amazed by any butterfly in flight shot and have quit trying to attempt these due to the difficulty. I like this shot alot due to the fairly sharp eye and the probiscus curled up in flying position. Also like seeing the legs and the wing blur. I believe the image suffers overall from the very large crop but overall I really like this one.
I'm hoping the extra megapixels with my new camera will help with this type of extreme crop. I take lots of these every summer and fall and have a better than expected success rate.

These aren't as hard to get as you might think. Take a drive to Mifflin this summer and I'll show you how it's done. :)

I'll post some more in the coming weeks.

Julie Kenward
01-04-2010, 05:12 PM
Ken, in my two years here at BPN I do believe this is a first. I've seen bees and wasps and what not but a butterfly in flight? This really is amazing.

Even though the crop is so large and you're going to be greatly limited in what you can do with this I just love to look at it. I cannot believe you got the eye, legs and antenna to be so sharp - that's just incredible. Maybe Artie Morris will let you borrow his 800mm big gun and you can try getting a 100% crop some time. ;)

Now what I wonder is if you have ever set up multiple flash units to catch these little guys the way the pros freeze the action of a hummingbird?

Mike Moats
01-04-2010, 08:12 PM
As Allen said I am also amazed at subjects shot in flight. The success rate has to be very very low. I like the crop and position in the frame. Good details where they need to be.

Vida van der Walt
01-05-2010, 05:28 AM
Excellent shot Ken! A difficult shot and so very well captured. Great angle, beautiful colours (both butterfly and bg) and love that green eye.:)

Ken Childs
01-05-2010, 07:33 AM
Ken, in my two years here at BPN I do believe this is a first. I've seen bees and wasps and what not but a butterfly in flight? This really is amazing.

Even though the crop is so large and you're going to be greatly limited in what you can do with this I just love to look at it. I cannot believe you got the eye, legs and antenna to be so sharp - that's just incredible. Maybe Artie Morris will let you borrow his 800mm big gun and you can try getting a 100% crop some time. ;)

Now what I wonder is if you have ever set up multiple flash units to catch these little guys the way the pros freeze the action of a hummingbird?
I'm sure the technique for shooting a butterfly in flight is similar to what others use for other bugs. I'll post more details when I post more shots because it will be more obvious in those shots what's going on.

To use a setup with multiple flashes, I'd first have to own multiple flashes. This is a hobby for me and I have a hard enough time as it is rationalizing to my wife what I'm already spending. :)