PDA

View Full Version : The counterattack

Sabyasachi Patra
01-04-2010, 03:02 AM
Dholes (Cuon alpinus) hunt in packs like the African wild dogs. They had chased the Sambar deers (Cervus unicolor) into the waterhole. One of the Sambars came out and attacked the dholes. This has not been seen or docmented before by anyone.

Unfortunately, the evening light was fast fading.

Canon EOS 1D Mark II, Canon EF 400mm f2.8 L IS USM, EF 2xII, ISO 800, f5.6, 1/50, full frame image.

Look forward to your comments and critiques.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Ken Watkins
01-04-2010, 03:33 AM
Although not technically perfect, this is is an incredible capture, and very surprising, at least to me.
I have seen quite a lot of Wild Dog action in Southern Africa and have never seen any prey turn on them. I can only suppose it was down to there being young to protect.
Why do these things always happen when there is too little light?

Sabyasachi Patra
01-04-2010, 03:38 AM
Ken,
I forgot to mention that there was one fawn in the group. However, this sambar was not the mother of the fawn.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Ken Watkins
01-04-2010, 03:49 AM
Ken,
I forgot to mention that there was one fawn in the group. However, this sambar was not the mother of the fawn.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Well that probably makes it even stranger or as some might say "almost unique".
I presumed this was from the same sighting as your last post, hence my reference to young being present.
Much as I hate to say it this sort of sighting is one where you could really do with a good video camera.

Marc Mol
01-04-2010, 04:26 AM
Well that probably makes it even stranger or as some might say "almost unique".
I presumed this was from the same sighting as your last post, hence my reference to young being present.
Much as I hate to say it this sort of sighting is one where you could really do with a good video camera.

Agree with Ken's comments, still makes for a very interesting and fascinating image and insight into this rare behavior. Well done Saby.
TFS

Alfred Forns
01-05-2010, 07:22 PM
My type of image Sabyasachi I'm sure the action caught you by surprise and could not get all of them in the frame !! With so little light going for blurs works just fine !!! I like it a lot !!