PDA

View Full Version : Wasp

Peter Farrell
01-03-2010, 04:30 PM
When I spotted this wasp I noticed the shadow and got in the best possible position to capture both. The wasp was too intent on feeding (?) that it did not mind me getting close. Taken this past June, late afternoon.
Sony A700, Sigma 105mm macro, AP, f6.7, 1/200, iso 800 (auto) 90% of FF, no more room on the left.

Julie Kenward
01-03-2010, 05:55 PM
You did this with a 105mm??? Dang, you ARE a brave man! I thought for sure I was going to see a 180mm or longer for this image.

It's an unusual angle but I think it works here because of the shadow. You got excellent crisp details on almost all of him (those darn antennas NEVER cooperate!) I do think some of the leg areas feel over exposed a bit but the image is obviously not so unless you're super picky I'd leave them as is. You could always grab the color picker, put it on the leg section that isn't so hot, then reduce the opacity and paint it into the hotter areas...but again, not a big thing.

Neat image, Peter! I'm so glad you came away without any post-traumatic stories from this one!

Allen Sparks
01-03-2010, 06:04 PM
Love the details of the wasp you caught and that shadow is great. Very nice catch.

Jerry van Dijk
01-04-2010, 03:20 PM
Hi Peter, excellent details on the wasp! Great looking species. Although I like the shadow, I feel that there's a bit too much empty space in the frame. The light looks harsh despite the late afternoon. I might consider making the overall image a bit darker, which will also solve the hot spots on the leg. I find myself wishing for another angle on the wasp (lower and more to the left).

Mike Moats
01-04-2010, 08:28 PM
Hey Peter, I like the comp, and good sharp details. The shadow adds a nice touch. I agree with with Jerry on making it a tad darker as I find the light on the leaf pretty powerful.

Vida van der Walt
01-05-2010, 05:41 AM
The shadow makes this image for me. Great detail on the wasp and pin sharp. Agree not the ideal angle but if I had to choose between a perfect angle or a great shadow I'd go for the shadow any time.:)