PDA

View Full Version : JBWR Fall Blossoms

Arthur Morris
01-03-2010, 01:56 PM
This image was created with my favorite new macro lens, the Canon 800mm f/5.6 L IS lens, 37mm of extension, and the EOS-1D MIII. ISO 800. Evaluative metering at zero: 1/320 sec. at f/8.

I went with ISO 800 to combat the breeze.

This plant grows on the shores of the East Pond at Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge in Queens, NY along with salt marsh flea-bane in fall. (This photo was created on 10/1/09).

Any and all ID help would be appreciated. (I know that it is not a Least Sandpiper :))

Don't be shy; all comments welcome.

Peter Farrell
01-03-2010, 04:23 PM
Thats a big macro you got there! Super sharp, superb detail. Pink is a little hot on my monitor, I could do without the green circle in the LRC. Sorry, I can not help with the ID.
Peter

Arthur Morris
01-03-2010, 04:44 PM
Thats a big macro you got there! Super sharp, superb detail. Pink is a little hot on my monitor, I could do without the green circle in the LRC. Sorry, I can not help with the ID. Peter

Well, talk about learning something new! I went back and opened the TIFF feeling pretty sure that the pinks were fine. They were. Above is the histogram for the TIFF showing no clipping at all. TBC.

Arthur Morris
01-03-2010, 04:49 PM
Then I opened the JPEG and was shocked to see tons of clipping as above.

So the man who has busted 1,000 folks for clipped highlights gets busted himself.

So what lessons are to be learned?

1-In cases where the highlights are right on the edge simply creating a JPEG can lead to serious clipping. (Though I realized that creating a JPEG caused an increase in contrast I had not previously know this to be true.)
2-It would seem that the only way to ensure that your JPEGs do not show clipped highlights it to check the JPEG and redo it from scratch if there is clipping. (I prepare all of my JPEGs via a generic action.)

So thanks a ton. I do like the green :)

Arthur Morris
01-03-2010, 04:50 PM
ps: The funny thing is that in the posted JPEG the pinks look fine on my monitor...

Peter Farrell
01-03-2010, 05:26 PM
I am not sure whether to say "your welcome" or 'I'm sorry". My eye is not as educated as most who post on here, I just call them as I see them. I'm always a little nervous at being the first to critique.
Not to shabby though if I can get one on BPN#1.
Peter

Don Lacy
01-03-2010, 05:27 PM
Hi Arthur what color space is the Tiff in, The pinks look fine on my monitor but then again so did the whites on my last post:) BTW lovely image the nice contrast between the flower and BG. Just pulled the file into PS and converted it back to Adobe RGB and the histogram looks fine but sRGB show considerable clipping of the red channel.

Julie Kenward
01-03-2010, 05:51 PM
Arthur, I can't be sure but this looks like it might be a member of the lupine family. On my monitor the pinks look perfectly fine - I didn't notice them being off until I saw your histogram shots and then it is really obvious but I have had this happen in my images before - they look great in RAW and PSD but you convert to jpeg and bam!

It also looks like you have a fair amount of noise going on in the BG...did you run NR? I, too, could do without the green in the corner but it doesn't break the image for me. I like your composition and it's a beautiful plant...maybe Denise will know for sure what it is since she lives out that way and owns a nursery. ;)

Arthur Morris
01-03-2010, 06:04 PM
Hi Arthur what color space is the Tiff in, The pinks look fine on my monitor but then again so did the whites on my last post:) BTW lovely image the nice contrast between the flower and BG. Just pulled the file into PS and converted it back to Adobe RGB and the histogram looks fine but sRGB show considerable clipping of the red channel.

I am pretty sure that the TIFF is in RGB and the JPEG in sRGB. I will check and be right back.... Thanks for your comments.

Don Lacy
01-03-2010, 06:29 PM
they look great in RAW and PSD but you convert to jpeg and bam!
Jules, Thats the sRGB color space of jpeg. I convert my color space before saving as a jpeg and check to see if there is any color shifting if there isn't any I will ignore the clipping of the histogram for the jpeg image if the colors do shift I will correct them before saving as a jpeg. Reds and yellows tend to shift more then others.

Arthur Morris
01-03-2010, 06:31 PM
OK. You are right and I am confused. I converted the JPEG to Adobe RGB as you did. It is posted here. The histogram looks fine. When I view the image in Breezebrowser, the images look identical....

The word on the street is that we should convert to sRGB for electronic applications.... But doing so seems to be the cause of the clipping of an otherwise find file.

Any comments or revelations???

Please also give me a link to your image.

Arthur Morris
01-03-2010, 06:50 PM
Arthur, I can't be sure but this looks like it might be a member of the lupine family. On my monitor the pinks look perfectly fine - I didn't notice them being off until I saw your histogram shots and then it is really obvious but I have had this happen in my images before - they look great in RAW and PSD but you convert to jpeg and bam!

It also looks like you have a fair amount of noise going on in the BG...did you run NR? I, too, could do without the green in the corner but it doesn't break the image for me. I like your composition and it's a beautiful plant...maybe Denise will know for sure what it is since she lives out that way and owns a nursery. ;)

Thanks Jules. We are trying to figure out the mystery here... I am not big on doing BKGR NR. We do not make many prints and I have never had a potential publisher say, "The background is too noisy." :)

Ken Childs
01-03-2010, 07:46 PM
It looks like it might be Scarlet Smartweed, Polygonium amphibium or at least a Species of Polygonium.

Don Lacy
01-03-2010, 07:47 PM
OK. You are right and I am confused. I converted the JPEG to Adobe RGB as you did. It is posted here. The histogram looks fine. When I view the image in Breezebrowser, the images look identical....
Which is why I use Adobe RGB as my working space and ignore the histogram when I convert to sRGB and only look for color shifts and will correct them. The problem with posting in the Adobe color space on the web is that some browsers do not read profiles and use sRGB as the default color space which is fine as long as the colors do not shift. sRGB as you are noticing has a smaller gamut then Adobe and will introduce clipping sooner with some colors here is a good article on color spaces and does much better job of explaining and showing the differences http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/prophoto-rgb.shtml

Charles Wesley
01-04-2010, 10:46 AM
Artie,

The pinks do not look hot on my monitor. I updated the profile this weekend. Agree that it looks like Polygonum commonly known as knotweed. Nice image and framing. The noise in the BG is not a problem for me. Like the way your EF 800 mm. does florals. Need to try my 500 mm. on some flowers once it warms up around here.

Thanks for sharing...

Jerry van Dijk
01-04-2010, 03:46 PM
Hi Arthur, the pinks in the repost look MUCH better on my monitor. Thanks for starting up the discussion about color space. I just got a new printer, but the colors on my prints differ quite a lot from those on my monitor. I've started checking my settings and got completely lost in the subject. Thanks for the link Don!
It definately is a Polygonum species (we recently switched to Persicaria in Holland), but I don't think it is P. amphibia. That species has both a terrestrial and a floating form, but only the floating one produces flowers. Besides that, it doesn't have all those glands on the flower stem and different leaves. Is it just me or are those stems not as sharp as the rest of the plant?

Arthur Morris
01-04-2010, 07:15 PM
Thanks again to all. Y'all were close. This from Don Riepe who was the Refuge Manager there for many years, "Pennsylvania smartweed ( Polygonum pensylvanicum )."

Dave Phillips
01-04-2010, 07:20 PM
Axel had noted months ago noted the curious shift "to the right" of the entire histogram when converting
Adobe RGB to sRGB. Next time you convert to sRGB profile, watch the histogram and you can see it shift.

Nice image BTW with that macro 800 :eek:

Arthur Morris
01-04-2010, 07:26 PM
I am not sure whether to say "your welcome" or 'I'm sorry". My eye is not as educated as most who post on here, I just call them as I see them. I'm always a little nervous at being the first to critique.
Not to shabby though if I can get one on BPN#1. Peter

Hi Peter, Always feel free to speak your mind here. If I think you are off base I will let you know :) In this case, you have helped a lot of folks do some learning.

Arthur Morris
01-04-2010, 07:30 PM
Axel had noted months ago noted the curious shift "to the right" of the entire histogram when converting. Adobe RGB to sRGB. Next time you convert to sRGB profile, watch the histogram and you can see it shift. Nice image BTW with that macro 800 :eek:

Thanks Dave. Lots of stuff to learn. As for the big macro lens, I have always carried three extension tubes. And here another great tip that most folks do not know: if you are using a TC with the tubes put the tubes on the lens and the TC on the camera, turn off AF, and focus manually. If you do it the other way around you will likely have AF but you will not be able to get as close.... You usually gain one big step by switching the TC/tube order.

Vida van der Walt
01-05-2010, 05:45 AM
Lovely image Artie. Great detail, comp and bg. Pinks look fine to me and I prefer the original post.:)

Arthur Morris
01-05-2010, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the comment Vida, and for your membership support. It is great to see that our growing South Africa contingent is rivaling our wonderful group of Indian photographers.