PDA

View Full Version : Wind-blown Snowy

Katie Rupp
01-03-2010, 01:55 PM
Belated Happy New Year to all!

This is from 2008 and I think it was the first time I used the flat-on-my-stomach approach...what a revelation that was! I left the gull in the background and added some drama with Topaz Adjust so I'm curious to hear your opinions. C&C encouraged and greatly appreciated.

Canon 40D; f5.6, 1/400; Av +1; ISO 320; 100-400 @400mm

Bill Dix
01-03-2010, 02:10 PM
Happy New Year, Katie. I love the wind-blown look, and the ultra-low capture angle. I like the OOF gull. The eye looks sharp and there is good detail in the feathers. I don't know if a higher SS would have sharpened them up even more, given the obviously windy day. Exposure looks good on my screen. Nicely done.

Gail Spitler
01-03-2010, 03:00 PM
Katie - wow, I really like this - wind swept look is great. I like the oof gull as well. Might consider cropping a bit off the top and adding just a tad at the bottom. Agree with Bill's comments.
This is a winner :D

Cheers
Gail

Katie Rupp
01-03-2010, 04:02 PM
Thanks, Gail and Bill for your comments...Gail, the bottom is a little tight, but that's all there is.

Richard Waas
01-03-2010, 05:24 PM
Katie, I love the fact that you ventured out even on a windy day. I love the capture of the windblown bird. I'm big on getting down on the ground. This one is a winner for sure! Congrats....

Anita Rakestraw
01-03-2010, 05:40 PM
Gail, a lovely image for sure! Good detail for the wind conditions; the windswept look is great. Looks like you did everything right!

Lance Peters
01-03-2010, 05:51 PM
Hi Katie - Like this a lot - love the low shooting angle, people don't realise what a difference it makes.
Good HA and eye contact - nice sharp details - love the wind blown hairdo - just feels a little tight at the bottom.
Good show :)

Gus Cobos
01-03-2010, 06:33 PM
Hi Lady Katie,
I like this ultra low image and capture very much. The wind blown look is very appealing. You have good feather details a sharp eye and good color rendition. I agree on a tad more room at the bottom for the feet...Congrats...keep them coming...:cool:

Kerry Perkins
01-03-2010, 08:16 PM
Hello Katie,
I love the snowies and this little guy looks like he's trying to keep warm on a wintry day! Getting down to the ground is really something and made a big difference in this shot. Nice details, exposure, and great pose. Well done! :)

Oscar Zangroniz
01-03-2010, 08:46 PM
Excellent low angle capture Katie. Love the feathers blowing. Lots of details, I too like the gull in the BG.
Congrats.

Jeff Cashdollar
01-04-2010, 11:59 AM
Nice pose and like the ISO/shutter combo.